Thoughts on this truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bigviclbi, Apr 21, 2009.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I've been looking at Fords but this came up locally and my Durango just lost its transmission and since i can't take the baby in either of my dumps I am forced to probably bite the bullet and buy something this week. This fits my profile at trucks I've been looking at in the price range and mileage, I am going to call in a little bit to see if its a 6.0 or 8.1(def. not looking to get one of these). This will be a work truck and my daily driver. Thanks.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oor&max_price=25000&cardist=21&standard=false

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Not a bad truck but it obviously won't be the best on mpg's either. What about getting the tranny re-built or replaced in the durango?

3. bigviclbi

from nj

The durango has 187,000 miles on it. I also need about $1000.00 of other work in it to get it right, and can't see dumping that much into it with a rebuilt transmission(probably 2500-3000) on something that old. The durango has a 5.9 l so I only get about 13 mpg as it is without the benefit of having a truck bed. I am torn between a half ton or bigger. I have a dump trailer I don't use anymore since i have a two dump trucks. But I keep it so that eventually when I get a skid steer it will go in that and I want to be able to pull it. I am also looking at 2wd since I'm not gonna plow and that will help the gas mileage out.

4. lawncare010

lawncare010 LawnSite Member

You could get a brand new chevy 1500 for that price.

5. IdealLawnCare

IdealLawnCare LawnSite Member

That looks like a nice truck. I have an 04' 2500 crew cab with the 6.0 and it has power to spare. I would not get the 8.1 unless you are pulling a really large trailer. Yes you could get a 1500 for about that same price but I dont think it would be a well equipt truck but the finance rates would be right and you would have a warrenty. A heavier truck may be the way to go if you plan on heavy loads or heavy towing. A 3500 long box may be bigger than you want for a daily driver.

6. bigviclbi

from nj

What do you get for mileage with the 6.0? I need a quad cab. Would a 1500 be ok for occasionally towing a skid steer in a dump trailer?

7. IdealLawnCare

IdealLawnCare LawnSite Member

The 6.0 is not that great on gas but better than the 8.1 by far. On the highway I get 13-14mpg and city 8-9mpg. The truck averager says 10.5..... I think a 1500 would be enough as they have plenty of power too. I may be wrong but I think the 5.4 in a 1500 has about 320 h.p. and my 6.0 has 300 h.p.

My father in law just got a 09' crew cab 1/2 ton and it is nice.

8. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd pass, unless you really want that particular truck. You can find a Duramax for that price and it'll give you better all around performance and mileage.

9. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Price is way to high. I've seen diesels with just barely more miles and newer for less.

10. bigviclbi

from nj