Thoughts on this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Feb 24, 2004.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got a call from a church, its a pretty big property, the lady said she wanted from the back of the building forward to the street done every week and then behind the building done every other week. The first part is about an acre and the back is about 1.5 acres. The problem im having is the first couple months of the mowing season here everything grows about 4-5 inches a week. Which means ill have about 8-10 inches in the back to cut. Is it worth it?

2. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

just cut the back at like 4"

3. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

If they pay your price, it's definately worth it. I don't mow many every other week, but I charge at least 50% more for these areas for the PITA factor, and extra tear on machinery.

4. packerbacker

Good idea but with that amount of growth every week i would have to double cut and thats alot to go over 2 times

5. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

My opinion is no. The reason I replied is I have experienced a very similar situation, the client wanted one portion done weekly, (so it would look good to the public) and the rest done only twice a month.....and it was thick bahaia......too much wear and tear on the equipment for something that needed weekly cutting, and not enough income for all of the work the machines were doing....The engines and blades took a beating every other week, blade replacement/sharpening etc was too much, very much the same size property you were describing....but only you will know if it is worth it or not.......maybe you can benefit from some members experiences though, explain your profit/loss ratio and maybe you can work something out to favor both of you.........It is hard dealing with Churches sometimes, but you have to remember you are in "business" for a reason.....Just my bit.....Thanks, Eric

6. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Id take it. Just make her aware of what you just said. Put in the contract, that you are not to be held responsible, if you are unable to give the backlot that manicured look in the spring, do to excessive growth from letting it go too long. The reason they may want to wait the extra week on the back, may be that they dont really care what the back looks like. Just so its maintained.

7. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like grass grows faster out by you than here.

8. packerbacker

Good thinking lawndog, your probably right since she told me they dont fertilize the back

9. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

lift the deck up higher. explain to the church lady that since the lawn is higher you will have to charger her more.

BTW does the church lady look like this??

[​IMG]

10. packerbacker

Sounds like grass grows faster out by you than here.

It grows pretty fast here from about May through July. We get a ton of rain. And it doesnt help when i pull up and its starting to rain and their sprinklers are also going 5 days a week.