Thoughts on used Hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I'm in the process on buying a used Hustler from a Home Owner. It is A 2002 52" z with 48 hours on it. It has been Garage kept and since he only used it on his home lawn I dought it has seen a drop of rain. He wants $4500 for it. I went and looked at it yesterday and decided right there I wanted and told him I would have to talk it over with the boss. I called him today and told him I want it. He said as soon as he gets the Title this week he will call me to pick it up. Oh by the way he just refinanced his house and put the remaining balance of the mower on with his house. That is why he doesn't have a title yet.

I feel like I am getting a great deal, but have no experience with Hustler. My dealer quit selling them but still has parts and service for them. I currently have a 60" Dixie Chopper and 36"Toro and I'm hoping this will be a great addition to my business.

2. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 24hp 60' Hustler Z and am very happy with it. It only has 35 hours on it, very impressed with quality of cut and the handling. I like the short wheelbase, and it seems good on slopes. It has a Honda motor. What motor does yours have?
  3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Get the title back??:confused: I didn't get a title with mine.....
  4. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I didn't know you had to have a title for your mowers. Maybe your laws are different in IL?
  5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Hustler Super mini Z and love it. Built to last. Good manufacturer warranty. I am not sure if their is a filing fee to transfer warranty to you or if you just call Excel and they switch it to your name for free. You can ask that question on the Hustler forum and ask them about the title.

Nothing was said about a title when I bought mine this year.
  6. roadking35

roadking35 LawnSite Member

Sounds like a great deal to me... I have a Z with 25 kaw and 60"deck, new this season.
    He probably financed thru Hustler and needs to get the paperwork back that it's paid off.
    If your experience is the same as mine has been with this machine, you'll love it.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Tell him to not waste too much time looking for that title! :rolleyes:

Mine came with all manuals, bill of sale, and a handshake.

Why is he selling it?
  8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I think he means lien release.....due to the financing.....
    Dont give these states the opportunity to make you title mowers....that could get am sure NY has already thought of
  9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Bayfish, It has a 23Hp Kawi motor. This should be plenty of power for a 52" cut. The main reason I wanted a new mower was because my 60" Dixie is under powered with 20Hp.

Dean, Mowerconsultant is working on the warranty info for me. Thanks again Pj!

I'm sure Mowerconsultant is right about what he is calling a title.

TLS, I think he is selling it to help him make a couple of House payments on a House he just built next to his house. He is having trouble selling it. He lives on 4 acres but he broke some of that up by building another house on it. Plus his wife likes the front and side cut with a push mower. At first I thought he would change his mind about selling because he asked me how much I would charge to cut the back for him. when I told him $120 he said he had no ideal it would cost so much. But luckily we both know a bigger LCO that just built a House in the same neighborhood and said as a favor he would send 3 guys over their every couple of weeks for $45 just to cover cost.