thoughts on used mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 944own, Jan 18, 2011.

1. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/for/2147419300.html
    Just wanted to ask you guys if you thought this was a good deal I am looking to get a small walk behind and I have a lesco ztwo rider I have been real happy with do you know if this is belt driven or any info would help.

2. 944own

I talked to another guy local that has a scag 36" belt drive I could get for around 500 I have never had a walk behind does belt drive mean it does not have reverse or what are the pros and cons. thanks

3. Georgia Lawn Works LLC

Georgia Lawn Works LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Not bad price. I bought a 36 exmark for 900 and spent another 100 servicing it to get it back into shape.

The only con in a belt drive in my opinion is when it is wet the drive belts start to slip. But you probablly should not be mowing when it is wet anyway. A hydro model is a lot smoother to operate in terms of steering.

The belt drive exmarks have reverse assist. Usually walk behinds don't have reverse. You won't find a hydro model for that cheap. And I bet that scag looks pretty rough for 500. Normal price on a used belt drive exmark or scag WB that is around 6 years old in good shape is 1000-1600 on craigslist in this area.

That lesco your looking at is belt driven. I'd talk him down to 600 and go scoop it up.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  4. 944own

I talked to the guy with the lesco and he said it is in great shape he said it is only 2 years old and is belt drive. he said he tried to get into lawncare and it just did not work out and he really only used the mower for one season and it has reverse. Like I said I have never had a walk behind so would it be fairly easy to learn being belt drive. He also said he will take 700 I will offer a little less if I decide to try to get it he is gonna send me some more pics tomorrow.

5. bc3xx0

bc3xx0 LawnSite Senior Member

Every belt drive I have seen has reverse. It's just an assist though, you still have to pull it.

A hydro will go in reverse with the lever and works as a zero turn. A belt will only free wheel then lock up. If you get good with a belt, you can muscle the free wheel and get it to turn pretty quick, but it will wear you out quick!

The price seems right. If nothing else, buy it and flip it in spring when everyone wants commercial equipment!

6. 944own

how could you ride this thing with the sulky if no reverse.thanks

7. bc3xx0

bc3xx0 LawnSite Senior Member

Your reverse is gonna be selected on the transmission. It won't back up very well if you are on a sulky, you'll have to step off and give it a pull. You'd probably step off the sulky on a hydro as well when backing up.

What I was refering to earlier was that when you go to turn, you can't reverse one wheel and don't get a true 0 turn.

8. 944own

OK I see im gonna see what it looks like when he sends me more pics today it seems like a fair deal im wanting something smaller for gates.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Don't go backwards. I've been using belt drives forever and I also have a hydro. I use which ever mower I feel like at the moment.

Belt drives aren't nearly as hard to use as a lot of people make them out to be. For $700 you should jump all over it.

10. nolanjim

nolanjim LawnSite Member

Belt drives have lasted me forever. Less maintenence than hydros and if there is anything wrong you just replace a belt.
    Posted via Mobile Device