Thoughts on working for a renter

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Fahzu, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Fahzu

Fahzu LawnSite Member

Here's a question:

I got a call for an estimate and the guy mentions it's not his house. Am I putting myself in a potentially troublesome position by dealing with this guy? He is 'responsible' for the yard, but I don't know that he is necessarily permitted to arrange services without getting the owner involved. I imagine all States are different, but what do you guys do?

2. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

We will do renters, but it requires a contract and for them to pay a month ahead of time. Have had too many renters just leave without catching up on their bill.

Most owners we have come across do not seem to care if we deal with just the renters.

3. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

mowing and basic maintenance only no problem

you want additional services....Cash in site prevents a fight

and even that is basic work.... i probably won't be digging...not without a few phone calls

4. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

Ive been burned by renters and ive been burned by owners 50/50.Id take them any way,In 5 years of owning my biz ive had 4 people not pay,somewhere around there.

5. Fahzu

Fahzu LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I'll go ahead and meet with him but limit it to mowing.

6. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

require pre-pay only. see no problems all of my accounts are pre-pay works great

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I won't work for renters to much of a (pita) but a friend of mine does. I told him to make sure he got his payment at completion of mowing and if no pay then no mow next week. The problem with renters is that most but not all want their yard mowed every other week instead of weekly.

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I have 1 and the owner pays me, can be a PITA as he used to live in Austrailia and now resides in Hong Kong. I always get paid but it does take a few weeks.

9. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to stay away from renters. I only have one and they are a PITA, as they call me only when the grass gets too high. I cut it about every 3 weeks on average. It is a very small yard and takes me 15 minutes, 40$ prepay. The main reason I even keep this account is that they have a hillside that gets overgrown and it is the renters responsibility to maintain it. Depending on the weather that job gets done 2-4 times a season, I charge them 160$ for that job and it takes about 2 hours or so.

10. AgriCut

AgriCut LawnSite Member

Can someone explain what PITA means? Lawnking, where at in Pgh do you operate?