Thoughts/opinions on 99' F450

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by KrayzKajun, Oct 19, 2012.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Looking for something to pull my tractor/skidsteer and my dump trailer to free up my truck to bring more than one trailer to a site if needed. Could also be used as a mowing truck. Found this forsale down the road from my shop. 1999 Ford F450 XL, reg cab dually w/ 7.3l diesel, auto tranny. 250k miles on the clock. It has a 12' flatbed tht is on the truck is a lil too long for the chassis. I would put a shorter flatbed so that i could still tow a bumper pull trailer or pintle hitch combo. I checked all the fluids and everything looked good. 19.5" tires in good shape. Owner is asking $2800. Anything specific i should look at? [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Look at the x brickman trucks. 9 foot flatbed dumps with crewcab and 7.3.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

You're not gonna get one for under $2800 though.

I'd say, if it runs good, grab it for $2500 and expect to put money in it here and there. Do something with the flatbed, or just take it off for scrap and put some fenders over the rears.

4. KrayzKajun

We dont have them down here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Just buy that one and cut 4 feet off and put a hitch on it. If it runs good its worth that price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. KrayzKajun

I forgot to take a pic, the chassis has an extened ball hitch on the back. The flatbed just extends way too far over the frame .
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

For that price grab it Jacob. Looks like a good deal
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. swanny

swanny LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't like the auto tranny. A six speed would make it twice the truck.

9. noahb195

noahb195 LawnSite Senior Member

My dad used to have a '99 F-250 with the 7.3 lets just say it kicked ass pulling anything you put behind it>:)

10. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Pull the boot going too the turbo and look for damage too impellers. Bring it too a shop and have a cylinder balance test done and an injector buzz test done as well. I would have a compression test done as well if the previous tests show no problems. I would get in the truck and start immediatly and see how long it takes too start. The trans if it has not been rebuilt will have some things that need to be addressed mainly the convertor and some pump issues. I would much rather buy a truck for 2800 bucks( with a 7.3) and fix it then get a newer truck with a 6.0.