Threads

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mike007, Mar 16, 2007.

1. mike007

mike007 LawnSite Member

What do you guys wear when you give bids? Ive got shirts and hats ordered but they wont be here for a week and Im not waiting. Jeans polo shirt and a haircut? Do you guys dress up at all?(nice shirt, jeans) Im going every day until I get my goal which is 35 contracts. I try to focus on landscaping cuz its what I love but mowing seems to be more consistent for me. So what do you guys do?

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Just dress nice but don't over do it. I showed up to give a bid one evening while my girlfriend and I were going out to dinner (not to fancy, slaks and a button shirt) and the I didn't feel right walking around with the customer like I couldn't think straight b/c I wasn't in my work colthes.

3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I have done the same thing and I know what you mean. I have a couple of different cars and one is a vw suv and I started getting comments about it when I went to homes in the 250-low 300's. So now I just estimate in our plane white 2500 or my small suv in most area's and save the vw for the 500+k homes. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I guess if you approach with the lower-end customer with higher-end appearance they might think your price it too high cuz their paying for your stuff.. Not sure if any of that made sense or not.

4. GLLawns

GLLawns LawnSite Member

I wear nice jeans/khakis and a polo most of the time. I try not to give estimates while in my regular cutting or scaping duds.

5. mike007

mike007 LawnSite Member

thanks guys, pretty much what I figured but was curious.

6. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I ran into a customer in a mall one day... his first words were "My God...you do wear long pants!"... yep...irrigation guy... shorts and polo shirt every single work day... own a dozen identical shirts, identically logo'd...and a dozen pairs of identical shorts.... thank you Costco... cheap uniform....

7. mike007

mike007 LawnSite Member

Thanks, if it was only a few degrees warmer id wear my khaki shorts. Not much of a long pants sorta guy myself either. Thanks everyone

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

So long I showered and my clothes were washed before I put them on, I really don't give a rat what I look like. It is not my job to impress these people, and it doesn't seem to make a difference anyhow.

Just be yourself, is what I always say.

9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I always wear jeans or slacks and either a button down shirt or a polo shirt when I go give estimates... unless I am on a job and a neighbor asks for an estimate.