1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Threat of Drought!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassesGuy, Mar 7, 2011.

1. GrassesGuy

GrassesGuy LawnSite Senior Member

Been pretty rainy the last few seasons where I am. What about everyone else? You remember the last drought or in one now? Please share any thoughts and what it did to you.
  2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Have to get rid of the snow first to see if there will be a drought:)

But in all reality, what is the worse case scenario for a mow guy. Late spring/snow out, followed by below avg temps in spring and below avg precip. Drought in the summer. Early freeze up in the fall. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
  3. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

i heard reports that mn is going to be hotter than normal. also heard it may be wetter than normal too
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The best thing to do is leave nothing on the table april, may, and june. Being in a weather related business, it's an absolute must to go at it full speed ahead for the first 3 months, no slacking at all.
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

You know there are truth to these words. Go like crazy first 3 months of season. Cause July, Aug and be tough months to deal with.
  6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Yes, the weatherman really has a clue what will happen this summer. Remember a week ago the cities was going to get 12 to 20"s Wednesday now its 2 to 4"s. Yep they have a clue where the weather will be. Sounds like you will get it good now though.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Not a worry in Florida. If we aren't getting a downpour the sprinkler system creates one!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. ncknaklawns

ncknaklawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I hate doing my cleanups in August. Maybe this year I will be ahead of the game.
  9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

In my area, typical rainfall is about 15" or less of rain per year. If it gets less than that and stays that way for more than a year, then there are problems. BWS sets monthly usage limits that are way more severe than mandating every other day watering. I lived through that in the 1980s and again in the 1990's. This year is the first year in my adult life where I am seeing weekly rains at this time of the year. Some landscapes cannot be maintained on water rationing. The other way it affects me is no rain no weeds. The areas I maintain as bare ground will not need treatment if it does not rain for months on end.
  10. Green we are on 2x/week watering here. Like you, I control the system at the clients home. There are some subdivisions where one big irrigation company has all the control and irrigation is set to come on 3x/week no matter what. Makes for fungus issues all summer long given our normal rainfall. It also never surprised me how ignorant a homeowner is with irrigation either. 3-4 times a week is not uncommon to see on a system the homeowner has been messing with.
    Posted via Mobile Device