Three Bids at Once!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnranger44, Apr 13, 2004.

1. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

We got a call from a guy in one of the richest neighborhoods in the area the other day. Said he was calling for himself and two of his neighbors. It was perfect...three nice lawns all in a row, and people willing to pay money for quality work.
    So I told them I would be able to give them a group rate. It worked out so well, I am happy for getting three lawns in a row, and they are happy for getting a lowered price. Anybody else ever had this happen to them?

By the way, we haven't gotten a call back yet, but we're hoping we will get it.

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good news! Nothing better then a bunch of rich people willing to pay for quality! As for us, I usually don't give group rates but I will sometimes throw in maybe 10% off of a mow or somthing for them.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I wish you well, but group rates are a "no-no" for me. I've cut a break on some occasions, and then somebody flakes out, moves out of their house, child grows up to mow, etc. Of course, raising rates for others is a problem for them.

If I happen to get some properties together, I take them as separate jobs. Nobody has ever complained because I think they know they are paying a reasonable rate, even though I'm working a couple of them together.

4. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 LawnSite Member

I had this happen two years ago. Four houses. Two together, and two together across the street. Worked out well. Gave them a great price since they were all together.
    Beware though, since you are there now, they will shop you out next year to the low baller.

I had sent all 4 people contract renewals, and left messages for each of them about continuing service the next year, and not one of them renewed, or even had the decency to return a phone call, after several messages. I did happen to catch two of them out in front of there house one day when I drove by, and they said they were going to cut it themselves. Yea right we've all heard that one.

There was never a problem with service when I was doing them, and even did a lot of (add on) service throughout the year for each of them.

I have since seen the new scrubs in there doing them now, and they all look like cr*p. I know all they did was to get the cheapest guy they could find to give them a group rate.

I hate when people do this. If there is a problem with service, get it out in the open so it can be corrected. Since there was no problem just go ahead and tell me straight up "I'm too cheap, and don't have the common courtesy to tell you honestly that I am going to get the cheapest guy I can find". I guess I'm glad there lawns look like garbage. You get what you pay for. To quote someones line I saw here a while back, I will not be " Johnny $20.00 Scrub nuts"

Sorry for venting, but those four really frosted my backside.