Three Point Hitch! and AERATORS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by River Hill, Sep 21, 2000.

1. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

What is a Three Point Hitch and how does it work? I here you guys talk about the Classen Aerators and how good of a job they do but you need a Three Point Hitch. I am tired of getting pounded by using small walk behinds. I am looking to purchase a Aerator and really like the Ryan Lawnaire 28 but, have heard it does not do well on hills. Has anyone tried the new Classen Split-Drive? If so what do you think of it? I am guessing a three point hitch is only on tractors, maybe even powerd??? Could a three point hitch be put on a 4 wheeler? I can't justify buying a tractor so maaybe a 4 wheeler would work.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

A 3 point hitch: 2 arms that come back from the axle area of a tractor, one on each side and another adjustable piece up higher in the center that is all used together to raise and lower equipment and pull it. I have heard of after market 3 point hitches that are electric. I don't know how good they are. Mine is hydraulic and runs off the same pump that runs the whole system on my JD. I can put on an extra 1000 pounds on the rear axles of the JD. You need to see how much you can put on your 4 wheeler. I think it would be to big of a load for one or I would have one myself with 4 wheel drive. :)

3. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Eric. I think the weight of the aerator plus 3 to 4 hundred lbs. of weight you might put on the aerator would have a tendency to flip the ATV over backwards.

You might want to see if you can justify the purchase of a compact utility tractor by using it to provide other services for your customers.

4. River Hill

Does your or do three point hitches apply down pressure to the aerator or does the aerator just float back their and that is why you have to add the extra weight? If so do you know how many pounds of down pressure it applies? Also what catergory pin is the Lesco aerator? Thanks in advance for your help. Also how much does the Lesco aerator weigh?

5. Eric ELM

My 3 point hitch doesn't put down pressure on the aerator. The Classen aerator weighs 225 lbs. and you can add up to 700 pounds I was told, to the weight tray on top. The frame of this is built with 1 1/4" bar steel so it is very heavy duty. You can get it with either catagory 0 or 1 hitch pins, but comes with catagory 1 pins. It also comes with a tongue to just pull it with what ever, if you want.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Brians, Tommorrow, I'll be trying out my Lesco 42" aerator for the first time(made by Classen). I'm using a Gator to pull the thing. I don't have a 3-point hitch,yet. I to, got tired of walking. Can't wait!

7. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

A three point hitch is not required to use the mentioned areator. I pull mine with a regular tractor and a pin through the hitch. A three point hitch is more convienent, but the plugger can still be used as a tow behind with the same end results.

8. River Hill

How much weight do you guys normally put on that aerator? Besides the ease of raising and lowering you aerator, are there any other advantages too the 3 point hitch? Do you think it aerates better with the 3 point hitch or in tow behind mode? I am looking to install a 3 point hitch on a ATV to use this aerator with. If it does just as good of a job in tow behind I may go that route. The 3 point hitch that I am looking at applies down pressure to the aerator so this may work for me, it applies about 300lbs of pressure so with the 225 for the aerator and the 300lbs down pressure I should be able to pull some good plugs. My only concern is when I raise the 225 pounds it will lift the front wheels of the ground. I will keep everyone updated with my expriment.

9. Eric ELM

The ground is very firm here so I have 350 lbs. on mine, but if the ground is soft, you don't need any on it.

Jaclawn, I did mention above that it also comes with a tongue to pull it. Nice option if your machine with the 3 point hitch breaks down.

10. River Hill

Is there any difference between the Classen and the Lesco? I know Classen makes the aerator for Lesco but was wondering if there is any differences, since I might be able to get the Classen cheaper?