Three Way Question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Bull, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I am planning to use some three way on my property for clover, broadleaf, etc and was thinking of buying one of those 25 or 40 gallon pull behind spreaders like they sell at Tractor Supply. The only problem though is I do not know how to determine how much chemical to put per gallon of water. If it needs to be determined by the per 1000 sq. ft. method then does that mean I have to calculate the output of the sprayer or what? Can someone give me some idea of how to mix it so that I am somewhere between the min and max strength?

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

first you'll need to know the ground speed you're gonna be traveling at. then you'll need to figure out how much output the sprayer will diliver.

lets say you can do a 7 foot wide swath. ...measure out 143 ft. (143 x 7= 1000sf)

time to see how long it takes to travel the 143 ft.

now, run the sprayer for the same amount of time it took you to travel the 143 ft. determine the amount sprayed at that amount of time. thats your 1000sf coverage. mix your 3 way into that amount of water for every 1000sf treated.

Man, hope somebody else with better skills with comunication jumps in here to explain this in english for you.

3. spray guy

spray guy LawnSite Member

tsm, ya did fine

4. Bull

from NC

TSM, thanks I feel I understand what you are saying. For example, I will determine a 1000 sq. ft. area and use my sprayer with water only to determine the amount of time. Lets say it takes 8 minutes. Then I will spray water into say a 5 gallon bucket for the same 8 minutes. After that I will measure the amount of water in the bucket and lets say it happens to be 3 gallons. That now means that it takes 3 gallons to cover 1000 sq ft from this sprayer. If then I am using a 40 gallon sprayer that means that I can cover approximately 13,300 sq ft.
    Now the part that I am still unsure about is this. The label on the tree way says 0.91 to 1.29 fluid ounces in 0.5 to 5.5 gallons of water per 1000 sq ft. Does that mean that if I put 1.1 ounce of three way for every 2.5 gallons of water that this would be a mixture that is between min and max strength? Based on the information above and spraying a fescue lawn what would you reccomend?

5. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

TSM,
    good job, you must be a PG man, lol
    143 feet is becoming more familar all the time, lol

6. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

You may want to take the sprayer out to a parking lot, you can see the spray pattern and make any ajustments that are needed.

7. TSM

from MA

hey Bull, got you're email, or private email, whatever its called.

ok,
    First I just noticed you're in NC...a bit warmer there than here in MA so what I am about to tell you is how I do things here in MA

In the spring we use the highest rate on the label. In your situation your product states 1.29 fl oz per 1000sf. In the spring weeds are growing like crazy. the energy of the plant is focused on new growth and I feel the higher rate helps getting that product translocated through the plant. In the fall we use the lowest rate on the label because less energy is on growth so less product needed to translocate thru the plant.

ok, now lets move on to your example of using 3 gallons of water per 1000sf. If you want the 'middle of the road' rate you'd put in 1.1 oz into your 3 gallons.

The labels recommendation is to mix that product into a minimum of .5 gal and a maximum of 5.5 gal. (thats all those numbers are for...recommended water carrier, since we figured your sprayer is 3 gallons per 1000, then you are within their recommendations)

Ok, now you mention a fescue lawn. We have fescues...clasified into 'fine fescue' and 'tall fescue'. the fine fescues are a very fine bladed grass and a bit sensitive. for some reason i'm thinking you got tall fescues down there, a wider bladed grass, much more tolorent to heat and less sensitive.

I think we covered all bases...if not just ask away

8. Bull

from NC

TSM, thanks so much for getting back to me about this. Your comments however do raise another question. Based on the labels directions and your comment does it mean that I should not mix any more than a 5.5 gallon mixture of this product? If so why is that? I was thinking of using like a 25 gallon pull behind. Also can you explain the difference in a "solution versus an emulsion"? It does state that continuous agitation is required and I am assuming this has something to do with that. Thanks so much for your willingness to help.

9. TSM

from MA

the 5.5 is the maximum amount of gallons to use per 1000sf. If you were using high volume equipment, say 10 gallons per 1000sf, you wouldnt (or shouldnt) use that product because to much water volume. But at your 3 gallons per 1000 you're in good shape.

emulsions- think of oil and vinegar, if you let it sit it will seperate, so before you put oil and vinegar on your salad you got to give it a good shake to get the two to mix

solution- is more homogenous or uniform in structure throughout, say like coffee milk (wait last time I was in NC, about 15 years ago, you folks dont know what coffee milk is, i think its a new england thing), hmmm, its the only analogy I can come up with right now, but you get the point?

10. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Bull, glad to see you got some good advice on your post about three way. TSM knows what he is talking about.Mr. Scags post on three way leaves me with a question that they don't want to answer. One tip you may want to try. When a calibrate a new sprayer, I measure out a 2k area of turf. You can do any size that works good on paper. I put a measured amount of water in the tank. After a few trips over the area of turf I measure the water left in the tank. Do the math and I then know how much I will be putting down per K and adjust the spray pressure or tip size to get it where I like it.