1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Threw a Rod on the Toro today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Mar 24, 2009.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I believe thats what happened. Sounds like I'm only running on one cylinder or that its missing. I started it at the dealer and all the mechanics in the back said it sounds like I broke a rod. Its a 19hp Kawi with 600hrs, can't wait to get the bill. At least it didn't seize up on me.

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

That sucks. Are you sure it didn't eat a valve?

3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

why not rebuild it yourself? I rebuilt a whole motor(rods, rings, crank, wrist pins, gasket kit) for $300 bucks, a 22 horse briggs that threw both rods and broke one piston..

4. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Oh I don't know. Lets see I don't know jack about engines and I don't wanna mess up mine more than it already is. I'm sure after a week or so I could teach myself how to take it all apart, get the right parts and then finally fix it. I know my dealer is way faster. In this business time is money. I think I'm gonna start looking into educating myself in small engine repair, for down the road when something like this happens again.

5. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Man, it is simple. I have rebuilt 3 two cycle engines, a chevy v8 and v6. Its fun and it is a great learning experience. Plus, it save you money in the long run. But the time no, but heck, everyone has free time, you just have to know where to find it...

Should not take longer than 3 or 4 hours or so to disassemble, rebuild, and assemble.

6. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Its also more of the fact that once I pull something apart it either never runs quite right after, takes 10 tries to get it back together, or a bunch of money to correct the mistakes I made along the way. I kinda know the logistics of engines but stuff never goes right for me.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion is there are some things we just wasn't meant to fool with, and this might be one of them.
    There are some folks to whom it comes easy, but to others it doesn't.

I know all about that.

8. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

ya, by using mowers we don't automatically become brilliant, gifted mechanics. Know your limits.:waving:

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

If you were closer I would help you break her down and rebuild it.

10. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

You won't be rebuilding a Kawaski for that kind of money.

I think it's very odd that you had an internal engine problem with so few hours. Our Kaw's are lasting well over 2,000 hours and we have one with over 3,000 hrs on it.