1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Threw my first track today...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by thepawnshop, May 19, 2005.

1. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, 30 hours of fun on my mini ended today when I threw a track. They (the local JD dealer) said that the reason it threw was because it came straight to the jobsite without getting checked at the shop for proper track adjustment. Took quite a while to get back on...no fun at all! Now everytime I hear a creak or a pop, I think a track is getting ready to go again!

That said, it is VERY easy to keep the track tight so I am sure it wont happen again...I hope!

For the record, though, the JD 35D is on SWEET machine!
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to hear you like the machine. I hope your dealer put the track back on for you? If they didn't, I'd take a bite out of them, especially when it was their fault. I'm sure ksss will pipe up, but how often should track tension be adjusted? I was thinking 50 hours but maybe sooner than that? It's not a complicated deal, just pop the cover off and grease the zerk inside, same as our trencher. On note, I'm going to try to get pictures of the 303 on Sunday when I'm out doing some work, I will post pics on my thread. Glad the 35D is working out for you, you're beating us on hours, we've only got about 15 on our 303!
  3. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

They had a repair guy out there within the hour. Yes, keeping the tension tight is simple but you know what they say, you never realize how important periodic maintenance is until you DON'T do it. The mechanic suggested checking tension everytime you use the machine...it only takes about 5 minutes. He also suggested keeping it as snug as possible at all times, particularly with rubber tracks.

As far as the hours go, I think I FIND reasons to use that bad boy. WHen I threw the track, I had a guy on my skid steer loading a dump truck and bringing the fill dirt down three lots to where we are backfilling a house. He would dump and I would use the backfill blade to push the material up against the house. He came down with the skid and got STUCK! Twice so far I have had to use the mini to pull my skid out of a bad spot...once in the loose fill above, and once when I got to high on a log and couldn't get any grab with the tires (wet ground). Yep, I keep finding excuses to use the mini but I ma sure the new will wear off eventually...yeah right!

Looking forward to seeing the pics!
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Did you get thumb for your machine? I can't remember if you said you were getting one or not. Yeah, I come up with excuses to run our machine, what fun.
  5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The tracks may have been tight when it was delivered but in the first 50 hours the tracks break in and require more attention to the tension. I threw a track in my first 50 hours because I didn't realize how critical it was. Putting a track on is PITA. The 10K plus machines are much worse than the 7500K machines. Nothing like working with a 500 pound rubber band in the mud or on the side of a switch back.
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I never thrown a track yet but anytime I steer I use the boom and bucket to swivel the machine on the heals of the tracks. I assume what happened with you is the mud or dirt got built up in the rollers and idler and rolled the track off. With rubber tracks you do need to keep them tigher than steel because like meantion its like having two rubber bands under the machine.

When ever working in mud or soft dirt you should periodically swing to the side pick the machine off the ground and run the track get the dirt out then do the same on the otherside.

As I meantioned you should use the bucket to push down to swivel the machine by using the travel and swing at the same time. It takes a little practice it keeps you from tearing up the ground plus it takes the strain off the tracks.

I know alot of guys don't do it but washing out the undercarriage daily/weekly helps make idlers rollers and sprockets last longer.

Once you get used to working with a excavator you wonder how you worked without one. I find after running excavator for a couple days then go back to running a rubber tired backhoe and how unstable it feels. One job I was on the rubber tired backhoe sunk into the mud like a stone the excavator that weighs 18 ton walked on top like nothing.

I have ran skid steers alot too they beat the crap out of you worse than running a backhoe I don't think there would be anyway I could run a skid steer 8 hrs a day.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Try putting a steel trencher chain back onto the boom in the mud :) My DW 3500 has the same tensioning system for its trencher as your tracks. I've lost it a few times.