Thriving in a saturated market

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Just Cut, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

I was just wondering you've done as a lawn contractor to thrive your business in a saturated market place

2. Good work, good contract, marketing plan

3. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

What Bob said. I couldn't count how many different LCO's I see in a day. Quality speaks.

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

professional image
    unbeatable quality and consistency
    continually educate your client...makes them 'need' you
    and finally....charge enough....above all other reasons, the number one reason we go out of biz is because we lowball ourselves

5. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

I have noticed that this year there are fewer startups than last year and have also noticed that there are fewer part timers. I have been trying to gather info regarding as to why, At the same time the market is somewhat saterated with full time lawn contractors, some which have scaled down in man power and work load, and others that seem to have purchased new eqiupment and then in a matter of months close up, this enviroment has been good for me as a qaulity contractor, by paying close attention to qaulity, cash flow, dependability :)

6. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Being a BUSINESS OWNER and a LANDSCAPER, not just a LANDSCAPER.

Taking a white collar approach to a blue collar business!!!

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Returning the phone calls, actually showing up at the given time for an estimate, and professional image landed us the jobs.

Dependability is what keeps the jobs.

So now we have tons of work, how do we stay in business? Well we keep our costs very minimal.
    We buy the right equipment for the types of properties we service.
    We don't get caught up into all the hype that we must have the biggest and fastest machines. We buy what is right for our business, cause we're not out to impress anyone except our accountant. ;)
    Needless to say, it's worked for us. We've had the last 4 winters off without having to work a day. Not too shabby considering we're a couple of rum dums like my husband Matt likes to call us. :laugh:

8. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

doing a good job and being there when you say u will or when they ask you to be.......also, being fair about the job and not trying to get rich off of one person.......and last but not least, educate them

9. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

thanks Sean and Jodi
    Jodi you hit the nail on the head, that is the business model that I have used and will contuine to grow my business with, It seems there is a lot of image only companys out there. And I have refused to buy into this practice:)

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

when ts this saturated its hard to thrive
    in my opinion . at least here.
    quality is the only answer and good
    assets management.
    it just comes dn to who is better at this buisiness.
    i dont lose any regulars,except to old age . but its hard to get new accounts.
    referrals is by far the best way for me.