throttle Cable Froze

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Dec 20, 2000.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

The throttle cable on my Gator must have some moisture in it. Twice now it's gotten stuck at 1/2 throttle. I tried to squirt WD40 down inside. It got it unstuck for a short time, but froze up again. Any ideas?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Take the throttle cable loose from both ends and take it in where it's warm to thaw it out. Pull the inner part out completely and blow out the moisture and put a film of never sease grease on it and put it back together. That should do it and put enough grease on each end so moisture can't get in it. My JD does the same thing, but after warming it up for about 5 minutes before using it, it works fine. I need to do the same thing again.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Matt's Honda CR500 had the same problem. Turns out it wasn't a frozen cable, but a frayed cable.

Just an idea.

Jodi

4. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

i've had the same problem w/my scag. throttle & choke. only difference is it happens in 60 degree weather as well as brrr cold. after engine warms up it's loose as a goose. i've taken cables off & sprayed, greased, "worked", beat on, prayed over, plus 1 exorcism & nothing seems to work. 22 degrees when i tried to start this a.m. and neither cable would budge. got it started with a little ether {i know....dangerous) & 5 minutes later both cables worked fine. go figure......it would be simple to replace........but ....it ticks me off because i can't figure out whaaasss happpeninnn...

5. bob

from DE

I took the cable off, like Eric said. The only problem is that the cable is one piece. It has fittings pressed on the ends, so I can't slide the inner cable out. It's now in my basement thawing out. The cable is fairly long, about 7 feet.

6. smithf36

smithf36 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have had my brake cables(similar to a throttle cable) on my snow blower freeze up. For a temporary fix, I use a blow drier. It takes a minute, but it works and is quicker than taking the cable off.

Joe

7. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Joes idea with the hair dryer is a good one.

Can you get a spray can of lithium grease and spray it in the end and work it down the cable. We did this with the choke cable on our old tractor.

8. bob

from DE

On the gas pedal end of the cable, there is a rubber 3" sleeve that covers and protects the cable. The bottom side is wrapped tight. But the top side was hanging loosly, allowing moisture on to the cable. A wire tie fixed it. Thanks!