Throttle cable issues?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by bieriewk, Oct 25, 2011.

1. bieriewk

bieriewk LawnSite Member

Hi all, I have a 2010 Z4, with 50 hours, and the stock throttle cable has acted up since day one. recently, it quit working all together, and the dealer said there were some re-inforced ones available for a different machine. They ordered the cable, but I needed to be cutting, and they didn't have time to install it right away. So they handed me the cable, showed me how to install, and I did the work. After installing, the plastic clip at the handle broke the first time I tried to throttle up. I examined the original cable/bracket assembly, and noticed the bracket was bent. I am tempted to bend the bracket back and weld a gusset in to reinforce it, because this "other cable" did not hold up. Anyone else have issues with this? My machine has a 25HP kawi, and is a 54" deck. Any recommendations? I don't want to have just another stock set-up installed, because this obviously isn't sufficient.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 601675 cable is the part # you need and if installed correctly should last a long time.
    I am not sure why the ones you had failed but I would have the dealer install the correct cable under warranty and make sure its adjusted correctly.
    I have looked and I don't see any notes in our system or updates to the cable or the adjustment.

Pj

3. bieriewk

bieriewk LawnSite Member

I discovered that the cable was not the issue, that the linkage it connects to was bent, and binding. I bent it back, and as soon as possible it will be returning to the dealer. I appreciate the response.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Ok.
    The linkage on the engine was bent?

Pj

5. dualsmows

dualsmows LawnSite Member

My 3rd cable in a year just went out again. The plastic pc. that keeps the engine on high speed keeps wearing out.
    Do you have any ideas?

Thank You

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Plastic piece? in the linkage / cable handle? or control plate? or on the carb?

7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Im not really mechanical so dont know what these things are called but I'll try to explain as well as I can...

Where the outer "sheath" gets held onto the engine, Its like a small rectangle clip that holds the end of the sheath and lines it up with the throttle "bit" on the engine. the cable can fit in either a high or lower position. I snapped probably 3 cables last season because they were being fitted in the (I think) lower position. I got a new cable, put in higher position and its been sweet ever since.

Basically, the sheath/cable wasnt lining up correctly with the throttle "lever" on the engine.

Sorry for the vague names/explanation but just check that the cable is lining up correctly.

8. dualsmows

dualsmows LawnSite Member

The part im referring to is on the throttle handle itself.