1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Throttle Control on Lazer Z 27 L/C

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roscioli, May 3, 2002.

1. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I just posted this thread over at the eXmark forum, then realized its friday night. I just bought a Lazer with the 27 L/C. THe throttle control wont stay at full. I don't know if there is a spring, or what, but as soon as i let my hand off it, it pulls right back to about 1/2 Throttle. Anybody know what to do? I bought it today, and need to mow with it tomorrow! THanks!
  2. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Try to check and see if the throttle cable is too tight. Where it attatches to the carb there should be a simple clamp with a screw that can be loosened. Try to loosen the screw and move the cable. Be sure you mark the original settting with masking tape just in case this isn't the problem. I'm not sure what else to tell you but in my experience this should solve the problem.
    Good luck,

3. roscioli

Hey SSouth- I tried that just now, and cant get a difference. Doing that I either get the same results, or moving it the other direction I get no low throttle.... I am clueless. I took the spring off that attatches to the other side of the piece that the throttle cable attatches to, and played. It wouldnt start. It seems to me like that spring is just too small, and pulling too hard on the throttle cable. I am not an expert though, so i dont know,, its starting to get dark now though, so I guess I will try again in the morning before my day of mowing! Thanks for the help!
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, I had the EXACT same thing happen to mine when it was brand new!

Here's what I did to get by until the dealer could get to it. Get a bungy strap (the weak fabric type work best) and hook and end to either side of the foot plate (find a hole, cant remember exactly where though) and then pull up on the center and hook it on to the throttle lever. Keeps it at full throttle.

Problem is, the fix is a real PITA. The throttle lever has to be tightened, and it is just about impossible to get to! Make sure the mechanic has small hands!

Once they tightened mine, its been fine ever since. Get a tiny tach while your at the dealer. Let me know what your factory RPM's were set at!

5. roscioli

TLS- Thank you very much, this is what lawnsite is for. People sharing their experiences to help others. That is what I was going to resort to for the weekend, cause I've sure gotta mow! I tried fixing it on the other end, but yeah, the problem seems to be just that damn lever being loose. I bet they fixed that for 2002! Thanks again, and I will check back once I get it out to the dealer... Mike