1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Throttle floats - Kills engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cr107, May 26, 2008.

1. cr107

cr107 LawnSite Member

Craftsman with 17HP Kohler...Push throttle lever to start, choke closes, starts like a charm. Back throttle off to run position and runs smooth for a few minutes. Then the throttle lever assembly on the side of the engine starts floating back and forth pusing the rod to the carburetor...giving more, then less gas...finaly it just floods it out or something. It never closes the choke during this..just pushes the throttle rod back and forth until she dies...
  2. mountainlake

mountainlake LawnSite Member

Sound like it's starving for gas after a few minutes, check the fuel filter and the gas tank vent, just loosen the gas cap a little when it starts acting up to check the tank vent. Steve
  3. cr107

cr107 LawnSite Member

That's what I thought too. Had to be a supply problem. But replaced the filter and took off the cap trying to fix it yesterday. Didn't seem to have any effect.
  4. cr107

cr107 LawnSite Member

Should mention that it seems to only happen after it's been running for a while...
  5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

The hunting your refer to could is sometimes caused by a plugged idle circuit in the carb, or worn linkage. On smaller engines with primer bulbs I have been successful in clearing the carb obstruction by choking the engine while pumping the primer bulb at full throttle, while trying to keep the engine running. You might try some Sea Foam before opening up the carb. Try a search with "governor, hunting" and you should get some better ideas of what to look at. Is there any side play in the throttle shaft or choke shaft?
  6. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

IF you are getting black smoke, you are getting too much fuel.

IF NOT, probably not enough.
    Did you use a genuine Kohler filter, designed for that engine??
    What happens if you ease the choke on when the engine is surging?
  7. cr107

cr107 LawnSite Member

Choking will help a little for a minute or so...but it doesn't stop the surging (hunting) for more than a bit....
  8. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like not enough fuel to the carb then.
    Filter, clogged gas cap vent or weak fuel pump (if equipped) would be what I'd check.
    I've heard of a few Kohlers that had problems with non Kohler fuel filters.