Throttle power...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Do you guys always mow at full throttle? Today I saw that my worker sometimes idles down. I didn't ask him why though. Is there benefits to this? If he was going by a flowerbed, it is easier to just turn off the PTO, so i'm stumped and can't ask him till monday. any ideas?

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I would think you would get a nasty looking cut at low throttle.

3. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

wide open until you see God!
    Then BRAKE!!

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's because your "worker" doesn't know any better. Is he more experienced on this machine than you, the owner? As wet and damp as it was today, there was NO reason to be running it with the throttle down, except to spend time jackin' around. I've heard of some people running lower r's on a mower to deal with weds (like buckhorn) a litle more efficiently, but like I say, after 2 1/2 days of rain - there is no reason. Run it where it's supposed to be run.

5. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

Always mow at full throttle, the engine will stay cooler, more air moving than at mid throttle.

Firefighter

6. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I have one property with a narrow area between the house (greenhouse, actually) and a flower bed..... 10' wide, about 30' long..... I throttle back when I cut that so I don't blast the house or the bed with clippings, (no OCDC yet:( )

Otherwise...... full throttle, Baby!:blob2:

7. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

we throttle down all the time to get into narrow places or running past beds, house, cars etc. As a matter of fact I require it from my employees. If I catch them blasting a house wide open they get it from me and then have to go and wipe down the siding.
    Now if your guy was in the open than that is a different story.
    Ask him why, you never know what the answer will be.

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

That's multiple times? When cornering, ground really wet, going through gates, any more 'clues' to this event?
    Maybe he doesn't feel comfortable using this particular mower.
    Disengaging the PTO would mean not cutting at all.

9. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Now that I started to think about it more, I think he only did it when he was going back over a stripe, like you would do to turn around and go back and didn't want to blow any more clippings than you would have to. But I still don't see why he wouldn't just hit the PTO. Maybe he saw a few clippings on the stripe and wanted to disperse them, but not blow them against the wall. (its a small wall about 2 stripes away, but with the wind and at full throttle it may have landed in the mulch or hit the wall). He has been riding lazers for a few years now, so he has plenty of experience.

Runner- yea, with all the rain, the grass has shot up pretty good and the clippings are a bit clumpy. I'm hoping he was doing this to help the clippings spread a bit without covering the mulch with grass.

I always run at full throttle. It never crossed my mind until I saw him doing it.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Being that the case, with the wall and all, it's sounds more like that was what he was doing. Why don't you just ASK him? He may enlighten you on something!;) Then, you could let US know!:)