Throttle problem?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by dwbarg, Jun 5, 2006.

1. dwbarg

dwbarg LawnSite Member

I have a new 18/52 fastrak. After I engage the pto and then open the throttle to full speed, the throttle seems to move back a little bit. If I hold it there it stays reved up. I was wondering if this is normal or if the throttle needs adjusting? Its really no big deal b/c it cuts fine at the speed it regulates at, but sometimes I could use the extra rpm's. Also I could run a little faster. I guess the only way to find out is put a tach on it and see if it is operating at the proper speed.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sounds like your cable needs adjustment, it needs to be adjusted to full throttle at the full throttle detent.
    This is easily done, and you or your dealer can do this quickly.

Pj

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I had this happen on a 2005 Super Z 27/60 you could push the throttle lever pass the detent position that it is suppose to lock into, your cable needs to be adjusted and the rpm's set to the proper specification, then you will have no problem. I did this adjustment myself because I have an instrument to check the rpm's and one of the mechanics from my dealer is the one that screwed it up to begin with.

4. dwbarg

dwbarg LawnSite Member

Excuse my ignorance, but where is the full throttle detent? At the throttle or at the engine.

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is a "notch" when you put the throttle to almost full on the decal, this is the detent.
    It will actually sit in this detent and not move.

6. dwbarg

dwbarg LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. This detent must be under the control cover b/c there is no notch on the cover to lock it into. I will see what I can find. I totally understand what yall are telling me. When you put the throttle open it should slip into a notch or something that holds it in place until you put pressure on the throttle to reduce engine speed.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Exactly.
    The detent is actually part of the throttle cable, you will see it if you look closely.

Pj