Throttle slowing

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by NoWalk4Me, Sep 2, 2004.

1. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

I'm sure I could probably find this in the owners manual but I can't put my hands on it right now. Yesterday, while finishing my last mow I noticed the mower seemed to be bogging down a lot more than usual while using my BacVac. I mow w/ Peltors on so sometimes I don't hear rev changes etc. Then I realized that my throttle seemed to be backing down about 15% almost as soon as I increased it to max. It would back off and I'd push it back. Is there a tension adjustment or something to keep it "maxed"?
  2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

It's very unusual to have a throttle that doesn't hold, but I had one, too. You'll need to take off the throttle housing and basically hit the rivot that holds everything together with a hammer, compressing it a bit. True, it can be that the throttle detent doesn't match where full throttle is, but if you want to run the throttle "only a little" below full, you want to compress the rivot so the throttle will hold at any setting.
  3. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

my 25hp Kawi has some similar issues.

if I push the throttle up about 90% of the distance that it will travel (the lever on the control panel) then it reaches and holds max rpms.

If I push the lever past that point it drops off a noticeable amount in rpms.

Not the exact same problem you are having, but it does make me wonder if there is something that needs to be adjusted to keep it from doing such a thing.
  4. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

Thanks Doc,
    I did notice the indention over the weekend and will heed your advice.
  5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

This may be something as simple as a worn throttle cable or a adjustment.
    There is a detent in the throttle control (on the dash) that holds the RPM we set it to at the factory.
    It is possible that you need to adjust the cable clamp at the engine also.
    These are simple adjustments that you or your dealer can make.
    Let me know if you have any questions on this procedure.
    e-mail me at the address below.