1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Throttle Stuck on Lazer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

The throttle on my lazer is stuck in the "full throttle" position. The knob will move up and down, but nothing changes. I noticed a small hole in the back of the lever. I take it the throttle cable connects there. Before I start taking everything apart and attempt to reconnect it, is there anything I should know first? Seems to be a small repair that I can handle myself, but I thought I should see what you guys have to say first. Thanks
  2. Expert Lawns

sooooooooo, is this easily fixable?
  3. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

did the cable break i would say replace the cable?
  4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

OR you should be able to (if there is plenty of slack) remove the entire cable from the machine,,,,pull the good end out about 2 inchs,,,,,cut off the broken end casing,,,,,push the cable back through making sure you have plenty to go in and out,,,,,,then bend the end in the same fashion so it will go ito and stay in place on the throttle lever!
  5. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

1/2 hour job with new cable from dealer, Take longer than that to try to bend new hook in old cable. I'd try that repair if I was 50 miles from dealer in the middle of the day. I'm not trying to criticize the idea just saying you'd spend more time than I think it would save in dollars by not buying a new cable. Take 6 bolts out of dashboard, take off 2 bolts holding throttle cable to dashboard, bolt on new one and thread to rear of engine same as old one. Loosen 1 bolt at carb, hook on new one and tighten bolt.
  6. Expert Lawns

good thing I asked first, I was going to do it the hard way, thanks
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

New cable ==== $10
    Knowledge of how to fix old cable ==== priceless

It takes less than 10 seconds to bend the old cable. Just buy one of these for less than the time and gas it takes to drive to the dealer, buy the cable, drive back and then install the new cable.

8. Expert Lawns

just bought my new cable....$20
    now to tear apart the whole mower so that i can find out how to fix the problem......