Through wall shutoffs?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Greenguy1, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Greenguy1

Greenguy1 LawnSite Member

Whoa!! I just read a thread that mentioned thru wall shut offs. Could this be my answer to winterizing when there is no one home to let us in the basement to shut off the water? might this save me from having to pay for the replacement of valves and RPBFP's cause the home owner never shut it off after we blew out the system. Would someone please advise!
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it will help. If you can get them to pay you to come out and shut it off. It is still in their hands to either call you to do it, or do it themselves. You'll still get plenty of idiots that don't get it shut off.
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

It would probably help, but like Dana said, you can't force them to act on your recommendations to shut it off.
  4. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just replaced a brass shutoff. Located between outside of the house and asv's.
    Cracked from frozen water in the line, from valve not being
    shutoff inside of basement.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Too much money, sez me. And it does have some pressure loss. A higher-flow-capable design was marketed by some small company, which got bought out. I forget what name they used.
  8. Greenguy1

Greenguy1 LawnSite Member

I am thinking about some letter I can send out, that would relieve me of the liability of the broken valves and pipes leading to the bfp. What happened last fall was, some of the houses water was still on when we winterized, and we had no access to the supply, many of the homes are second homes. So we shut the lower valve off and continue to blow out the underground, well, then the freeze comes and the water trapped in the hole of the ball in the ball valve freezes and expands and pushes out the side of the valve leaving a small crack, which does not necessarily render the valve junk as it will not leak if it is all the way open or all the way closed, but some insist that I change it anyway, of course they feel it is all my fault and I should pay for it. this has cost me nearly $1000 this spring, I do feel some liability but not all and if I give them instructions and explanations it should then relieve me of all liability?
  9. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

only in writing greeny, but that doesn't always work either.

If you know it will break, then you must prevent it.
    You must have hands on the inside valve, shut it and lock it if
    possible, Or tag it etc.
    It's when they open it after you have serviced it for winter that relieves you of the libility 100%. Maybe I'm wrong but libility is nothing to play with.