Throw Line Technique(s)

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by Guest, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Are people still "throwing" throw lines up there when they could be using a "Bigshot"? Stone age stuff! :D

2. Guest

Guest Guest

No, I ve got to where I can make a better low short finesse throw with the Bigshot than manually. After a couple of cups of coffee and just waken up I am capable of throwing the bag right over my head and into the gutter of the house behind me. I know lots of guys like to think they are the Michael Jordan of bean bags. You can hardly ever miss with the slingshot.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Never heard of the blow gun Mike, but I was using a surfcasting rod that I sawed off before they were being used for treework. One time, and stop me if you already heard this story (kidding of course), I get a call and a huge tree leaning over a house has 2 guys standing next to it and they have a 3 strand line only half way up and come a long and one strand is broken and they have the tree notched and a back cut into the notch. The fire company was there and a bunch of other people and they all were going to do nothing as no truck access. I shot a bolt up with the fishing pole and pulled a quarter inch line behind and then a half inch behind that then sent a running bolen up. I got it cranked over with an extra heavy duty come a long. Fishing poles work fine, just not as good at sighting as the slingshot.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Go to amazon.com and purchase "Tree Climbers Companion". That book will cover both of those topics. Oh and welcome to the site

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Cool. Tell me what you think. It covers lots of stuff. I havent got the second edition yet, but I have the first.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I think its been out for a couple three years by now. not sure though. As I said, I got the first and am happy with it. Only seen the second edition twice.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Only problem with that saver is you need to be reaaaallllllyyyyyy careful. Seen one just like that wrap around the trunk in a climbing situaion an open. It did not dump the line out but it did open. Why take that chance. you only live once. You fall from that thing and you are all done. Why make something yourself and take that chance. There are plenty of great manufacturers of equipment out there. They build it and test it and test it and test it. Before they release it to the industry. Be safe.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

It was a triple locking snap... As it is supposed to be. Just rolled on the trunk just right and it pushed the gate open.
    The ART is awsome. I use one on most climbing that I do. The only thing is you need to find a static way to get in to the tree, because it can not be set from the ground. I have found single line foot lock or double line foot lock to get into the tree and then set it up once in the tree. The double snapper allows for safe retrieval (it has its flaws though). The system is expencive though.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

If you get one remember not to get the one that is 10 feet long. the shorter one is more than adiquate. My employer purchased one for me and after using it for a couple months I bought one for use in my buisness because it was worth every penny. I would suggest the purchase. Just know how to use it before actually using it. Happy climbing

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I think the shorter one is between 5 and 6 feet. Havent measured it. I will see what I can do about pics and such for instruction. It might be a week or two... Im on vacation next week. HUNTING in the mountains. FOR A WHOLE WEEK. Rest and relaxation.