Throw out the spade!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tfilbert, Apr 29, 2005.

1. tfilbert

tfilbert LawnSite Member

Think I just retired my spade. This year has been very hectic with clean-ups and edging beds. My leg was about to fall off last monday after 250 ft of beds. Then bag and haul off the clumps of grass and dirt and dispose of same. I saw a bed edger by Brown Manuf early on this spring and fell in love with the quality of the edge and fine dirt left over and pushed out of the way.
    Bought one on wednesday and have only tried it on my own beds but even with the very wet clay and still raining here it did fantastic. 50 ft done in about 2-3 min and thats while learning how to operate the thing. Ok, I'm really, really in love. I don't know why we haven't seen it here but I can't remember seeing one. You guys got to check it out. PS, if you are located in KY please disregard as it's too expensive, spade works better and I already threw it in shed forever. :rolleyes:

2. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

was looking at the bedbug by bluebird but its 2 weeks out for an order,but could have the brown in 2 days.......would be nice have as i have around 800 ft coming up next week!!!!

3. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

just remember:

sprinkler heads, phone wires, and pipes OH MY!!!!

4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I love mine until it cuts something a customer forgot to mention was underground like a dog fence or lighting. Even though I require customers to mark all lines and irrigation zones around mulch beds to prevent the unthinkable it sometimes things don't get marked.. I always carry a few extra irrigation parts, wire and waterproof wire nuts in the truck.

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Can you define bed edging for this southern boy who has no idea what you guys are talking about.

for us bed edging is cutting a line (.25 in) between the turf and the mulch so the turf doesn't grow into the bed and to give a crisp line of demarcation.

Sounds like you guys are rototilling.

6. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Nope they are doing the same thing. They are talking about the Brown Bededger. When it cuts the edge it tills the soil it just cut and throws it back into the bed with no clumps.

http://www.brownmfgcorp.com/bededger/index.html

7. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Invisble Dog Fencing too!

Seems those installers think it's ok to put them down 2 inches. Hah!

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

so that thing will cut a 3 inch wide swath. Why would you want that?

I just use my stick edger, if the growth is really heavy I run it through forwards at half the blade length, then backwards at 3/4 depth, the forwards all the way down.

When done with all the edging, blow the debris into the yard. Then fire up the mower and chop/disperse it around as I mow the yard.

works fine for me. Then run a quick edge every week and looks sharp, quick blow off after mowing and all is good. Works on beds, driveways, sidewalks and it uses equipment I already have.

Am I missing something?

9. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Precision,

The point is, why would u want to take the extra time and effort when it can be done that much faster and easier with the machine. Specially if you do a lot. If you are only doing the odd bed here or there it makes no sense for the cost. Why bring the 21" mower for the acre when you can take your Z. No difference.

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have one and i would NEVER try to run a business without one. It is foolish to edge beds by shovel.... also you cannot get the smooth flowing lines by hand that you can with the brown......

it also has stump grinder blades and trenching blades........

as for lines, etc..... we always charge to fix what we cut.... that is also a good revenue generator,,,