Throw Packs for Marketing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Dec 21, 2007.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I got this idea from a guy at the OTF winter conference and I really like it.

Instead of using door hangers on the door (which take time), you just drive by and throw a nice sealed packet in their driveway with some literature, a coupon and maybe a pen or something nice.

This way you can quickly select the houses and neighborhoods you want to hit. And then within the same week or so hit them all with a postcard.

Have any of you ever used a throw pack or anything like this?

I would like to use something in conjuntion with my post cards this year.

Also....have any of you ever used billboards on main roads? I called on them today and not a bad price. Only like $425/month. Was wondering about Feb and March? Any ideas here?

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not all that keen on throwing something onto a potential customer's driveway. I think you'd turn more people off by doing that, than you'd interest in your services. I know I wouldn't like it if someone threw any type of marketing material in my driveway.

That's just my opinion though Buddy.
  3. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i agree with vic. i personally hate when companies do that. i would assume a good 1/3 of your bags end up blowing around the neighborhood. not the best image, especially with society moving toward being more green and environmentally friendly. i like the thought though.

billboards in this industry? hey, you never know. i never see any local or national companies doing it, but in marketing aren't you supposed to do the opposite to get attention anyway?
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Thanks guys!

Appreciate your honesty and I didn't look at it like that, but you are right!

I am just looking for a "quick and dirty" way to get to these homes, as I don't really want to walk to every home for door hangers (too much time).

What do you guys think of door hangers BTW. Do you do them? I wonder if they are offensive to people also?

I would love to come up with a SILVER BULLET in conjunction with my postcards (but I know there is nothing out there).

I am really thinking hard about the billboard! I think it will work! If nothing else...I will continue to brand my company name out here in the world (or my little town and surrounding towns anyway)!
  5. Victor

I had really good luck with my door hangers Rod. Besides the walking you have to do to pass them out, I think they're a great way to add customers.
  6. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

not a bad idea (throw packs) sure some will not like it, but then again some dont like getting door hangers either. Obviously those that feel that way probably will not respond to your offer (but then never know)

Its all a numbers game. The more ads you get out the higher the number of responses and throw packs would allow you to get more out per day. You would miss those opportunities of meeting a homeowner as they see you walk up to their door with a door hanger though. And those are the best of all for making a new sale with.

Interesting idea, I'd say go for it. Knowing some folks wont like it, some folks look for reasons not to like you...but not everyone.

Billboards at $425/month. You must be in a fairly rural area. We looked into billboards (one specific board actually on a highly traveled highway) the company wanted $4000 per month! Plus the added expense of design and set up of the ad on the billboard (ouch)
    I would ask for their demographics for the site the board is located at. Whats the traffic count? Can it be seen from both travel lanes or only one? Whats the speed limit on the road in question?
    Then you'd have to sharpen your pencil to see if it would be a cost effective way for you to get your brand out in front of that number of daily travelers.

I'm actually thinkin for $425 per month you could buy a box truck. Something with a 16 foot long box that is 10 feet tall and letter in up the same as a billboard. Now you can move it to where the traffic is. Plus use it as a service vehicle as needed. A decent used truck with insurance cost and lettering costs would probably run you the $425 per month. And if you decide it isnt working out you sell it and get some, maybe most of your money back. A billboard wont do that for you.

good luck
  7. Victor

Those are some good points Lawnservice. Good idea about the truck too.
  8. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

Not trying to be dismal, but if I want their business, I go see them personally and ask face to face. It's that important to me. Nothing replaces the personal contact.

Junk thrown in my drive or placed in the mail box.......I don't goes in garbage!
  9. MaineFert

MaineFert LawnSite Member
    from Maine

We have had good luck with door hangers. If you can get to neighborhoods before your first app. We have our lawn care technician do this before his season begins. Also this season we are tryin a customer referral program with incentive for people to refer their friends / neighbors. Have to wait and see how this works out.

Nutrients PLUS
  10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Good idea on the truck! I was just looking at doing this for two months (it would start on Feb 20 and go to Apr 20) as that is when the contracts start and finish...which is the exact time frame I would want!

Funny you ask about my area! My town is about 1200 but the town that I am targeting is about 14,000. The road that I am looking at is our highest traffic state route in our area! Thousands of cars go up and down this road every day as it connects the down I am talking about to Dayton OH which is a big city by me.

I will probably do it as all I would have to do is pick up 1 customer/month to pay for the sign! If it works, I may run it longer. I will let you guys know how it goes!