1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Throwing in the cards....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kickin Your Grass, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in the business for 10 years. I think after all these years Im going to be throwing the cards in. We have not had any good amount of rain in months and the temps have been over 100 degrees for several weeks. I have about 15 out of 70 customers actually still watering the lawns and the others stopped because of water prices. One of my loyal customers works in the business office of the postal service and tells me the average postal service pay here is $54,000. I also thought about testing for the police department in October. If this is the route I go I will keep my loyal 15 and can the others.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear about your weather predicament...good luck though in the employment search.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

that's the bad thing about being in a business that is semi-dictated by weather. you either have to have your mowing accounts set up on a straight yearly maintenance fee so you get paid whether it rains or not (easier said than done in some parts of the market i bet)... OR you need to have something else to fall back on besides mowing. we learned early on we will not put all our eggs in one basket with the mowing, we've had slower mowing years where we sold retaining walls, new bed installations, etc to keep the cash coming in.
    best of luck.
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Police Department? You will then be broke and be shot at at the same time. :rolleyes:
    I get the same feeling you do this year and gas prices are close to pushing me over the edge. Grass is scorched right now and temps expected to be in the 100s this week. No substantial rain in sight. Last year we had a few Hurricanes going already--but that wasn't the norm. The tropic don't get really active until August on average and peak in September
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I heard this morning the gas will hit $4.00 per gallon in some areas. Most of my customers will see a $3.00 - $5.00 increase, b/c my prices need to be raised anyway.

Honestly I think next year i will have to rebuild my business, im expecting a higher turn over, and I will be dropping some. Next year we will do LESS work for MORE MONEY.

I do want to exit this business, but I won't until I get my company the way I want it. I've come to far just to walk away and get a job. I know it sux when the dry weather hits before you enven have a chance to make a profit.

Heck, ususally JUNE is when we just start showing a profit, paying off all debts from the winter and Spring. I feel your pain.
  6. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Yes its a tough life, to much rain ,to little high fuel prices etc some times it may be best to pull the pin or do as Jodi has suggested and do different things relateing to this industry....for some people you may just want a change of sceanery....... best of luck for the future :usflag:
  7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Jodi is right about expanding into other areas. There are so many directions you can go with other services, likely more profitable services as well. Maybe try yearly contracts where you factor in the bad months and get everybody on a monthy payment plan. That way you get paid even if the grass is not growing. It is like a retainer. You have to keep all the equipment and employees whether they are watering or not. You can call it quits if you wish, but there are problems working for the man as well. I would rather control my own destiny to some extent then worry about what some buerocrat decides about money allocation for some government jobs.

I wish you well.