1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thumb control Ferris WB

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by FerrisDJB, Aug 31, 2010.

1. FerrisDJB

FerrisDJB LawnSite Member

I've got a DD 52 Ferris WB 2007 model. I was wondering if anyone has tried to reto fit the new thumb controls that appear on present Ferris Comfort Control DD WalkBehinds to the old Dual Drive Ferris walkbehinds. I sort of need or would like these controls to aid in climbing very steep hils, straight up. Most of the time I really have to push the joy stick fairly far forward and then push down on the control handles to get her to move up the hill. I was hoping these thumb controls would help in easing into hills. Soooo....anybody retro-fit these thumb controls to older Ferris's?
  2. FerrisDJB

take this back to the top
  3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like something is wrong with your controls. You should just set your speed and then let the handles out. If it doesnt go forward you have other issues. You shouldnt have to be pushing the handles to go forward.
  4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I demoed a Ferris with the thumb controls and couldn't see how anyone would like them.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. FerrisDJB

So has anyone tried to retro fit these thumb contolrs on the older DualDrive Ferris walkbehinds? Thumb controls are like anyother system, works for some and not for others.
  6. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I bought this 36inch ferris and HATE thew controls now, my thumbs start hurting and mess, but i'm keeping it because dad seems to love it, rare he likes the mowers so i keep it seeing how he mows when i go off to school, im also thinking it will be good for leaf season

7. Shasta Lake Landscaping

Shasta Lake Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Listen to what he said. Your tranny belt might be slipping. How many hrs on this machine? How knowledgeable are you about maintaining it properly?

Me and my diddy- that is a single hydro drive, not dual drive. When adjusted and maintained properly both are effortless and enjoyable to operate.
  8. FerrisDJB

First off, "Shasta" is correct about "ME and My Diddy's Ferris" that is a single and yes when adjusted properly they are great to work with. My DualDrive 52", it could be that the trans belt is out of adjustment. I have driven the new ComfortControl 52" and they do take time getting used to, but far better set-up than my current DDS 52" with the cruise control stick that operates both hydros and no bypass. The new ComfortControl allows for independent operation of left/right hydro with palms of hands going forward and turning as opposed to older DDS that only allow for independent turning . Hard to explain, you'l have to drive one to understand what I mean. It is that independence I'm trying to retro-fit to my DDS 52. After further examination this past weekend I don't think it can be done. The cruise control bar(rod) at base of engine is the hang up......anybody? Thanks for any help offered
  9. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

so adjust how?????, i would love to love to use this machine lol
  10. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

I understand what you are saying. My guys say the same thing. A few of my mowers are the new style and a few are the older. What my guys do is just push donw on the steering controls or push them backwards so to say. The only time they really ever do this is on steep hills. I don't think the controls are interchangable tho on different body styles.