Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mini man, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

Does anyone have an opinion pro and con for a hydraulic thumb for a new Cat mini?
    Like for example...does it get in the way loading a truck etc.
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't have a excavator with out a thumb especially a hydraulic one a excavator without one is very limited. If your going to get a thumb make sure its a direct model what I mean is the end of the hydraulic cylinder that operates the thumb is connected to it. You really don't want a progessive link thumb they are not as good.
  3. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

I just asked our Cat dealer for a price on a thumb and ordered our machine with the "thumb ready" stick. I'll let you know how it goes.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The Cat thumb isn't the best thumb, but it gets the job done. If I was doing alot of rockery work, I would have gotten a PSM or CWS thumb/bucket combo. The Cat thumb is only 2 tine on a mini, works well for most situations.
  5. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Just factor the price in, you will be so frustrated without one. No matter the size of the excavator, you will be picking up rocks, brush and what ever and it just makes the machine so much more efficient. Not having one would be like having a hammer without the claw end, when ever you needed to pull a nail, you would have to go get another tool. Just my thoughts.
  6. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

get a thumb on that cat no matter how much extra is it. trust me you'll be happy you got it. it was $1000 extra on my kubota 161-3 and it was worth every penny.
  7. badranman

badranman LawnSite Member

Another vote for the thumb. I have them on both of my Bobcat mini's. I thought they might get in the way at first but after using them it's no problem at all. I think it helps you load trucks in that you can curl the bucket back and use the thumb to hold the contents in. This allows you to get extra height. Doesn't work well with sandier soils of course but clay and rocky soil aren't too bad. You won't be dissapointed.
  8. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Im for the thumb to. It has been the most versitile tool I have ever used on a machine. Picks up rocks, brush, and awkward stuff that you would just be frustrated with if you didn't have a thumb. First attachment that I will buy when Im ready to buy a mini.
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, that's another plus as stated by Badranman, you can curl the bucket out while still pressing with the thumb to place on the far side of the truck, makes for a little easier when loading. When you get your thumb, see if you can get the control located on the right joystick where it should be. Floor thumb controls suck. It cost us $2,000 to have the control moved up to the joystick and it was worth every penny.
  10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

A mini excavator without a thumb would be like a skid steer without aux. hydraulics. You can just dig with them, but they are capable of much more. I use a WerkBrau thumb, Quick Coupler and buckets. What I like about the WB is the fact that it tucks up tight against the stick. It is no wider than the stick. Visibility and digging ability are not affected by the thumb. The thumb I have has no tines. I like it that way. It gets a better grip on rocks without scratching the heck out of them. My only issue is I wished it articulated more than it does. Not an issue when working away from the machine but when the item is close to the excavator the limited articulation becomes an issue. I had WB thumb and buckets on my last excavator; they make excellent attachments. May be something to look at if you what a thumb and still have visibility.