1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JFGLN, Feb 14, 2014.

1. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

Do you use thumbtack for leads? I signed up with them last week and have had 3 request already. The problem is that the request are all vague and its hard to tell if they are in my service area.

Here is an example of what they send you. This is all the info you get.

Lawncare type

De-weeding & weed prevention

Estimated lawn size

I'm not sure

One time

This is for a homeowners association. We need ivy removed so it will not come back. It is also around trees that we would like to not harm.

As soon as possible

Olympia, WA 98516

Service professional must travel to my address.
  2. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I'm currently using thumbtack. In haven't landed any jobs yet, only been with them for a month. Ive had over a 100 leads, and like you said they were all pretty vague. You should see some of the landscape leads I've gotten. Its pretty bad. Depending how it works out after I go through all my credits I probably won't use them again.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. JFGLN

Where do people here about Thumbtack? I had never heard about them until someone here on Lawnsite mentioned them.
  4. Natural

Natural LawnSite Member

It's often one of the top hits on google when you search for general home improvement in a large city. Along with Angie's List, Homeadvisor, YellowPages, Yelp, etc
  5. JonLawn

JonLawn LawnSite Member

I got 3 leaf cleanup jobs out of 4 leads last fall. 2 of those turned into weekly mow jobs for this year. For $3 per bid that is a great ROI.
  6. JFGLN

Do you quote a price? or do you check "need more info" and hope they contact you?
  7. JonLawn

JonLawn LawnSite Member

For the fall clean-ups I quoted hourly rate, which isn't ideal but it got the jobs. For mowing I would say need more info. A lowballer that quotes a price may get it over me but my ratings on there may sway them.
  8. Cody S

Cody S LawnSite Senior Member

I'm rated #2 in my area on Thumbtack. I've landed a lot of jobs from it. For the price per lead you really can't beat it. It's worth having your name out there.
  9. Mow Mony

Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA

I'm not sure how anyone can quote a dollar number competitively for a job, without at least getting the address and seeing the property on online? Have you guys landed jobs when simply responding need more info? We signed up, but haven't purchased any credits yet. I feel like every bid I would enter is going to be need more info...
  10. Cody S

Cody S LawnSite Senior Member

I never purchase credits. I just pay for the ones I want to respond to.
    As far as landing jobs. It is ALWAYS "need more info". If they're being a real stickler I will give them a "ballpark estimate" if I know what the neighborhood looks like, but I always tell them there is no guarantee to the price.