Thumbtack

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JFGLN, Feb 14, 2014.

1. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

You can get the credits back if they never respond
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Cody S

Cody S LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah if I pay the amount to respond to the lead (2 credits) and they don't respond then they credit my acct

Edit: As far as lead services go, I feel they're the most hassle free PAID service. Home Adviser (Was Service Magic) creates leads but is a nightmare to deal with.

Angie's List is nice, but it's hard to find customers that have an acct with them to review you, and they won't consider external reviews, even though they allow them.

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I don't bother with Angie's list. Service magic was a nightmare
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Cody S

Cody S LawnSite Senior Member

I'm on Angie's list but nothing ever comes from it. I got rid of Service Magic.
    Thumbtack has been good to me.

5. prezek

prezek LawnSite Member

I've only been on a month or 2. Landed a couple snow customers, and couple mowing. I always "send a quote" needing more information. I send a message stating I'd be more than happy to take a look to be able to give an accurate estimate. Most of them will view your profile. For a few $, it's been more than worth it. I think I bought $30 in credits once so far?

6. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

I just tested this out as a consumer, and there were 34 guys waiting in line to give me a quote lol....see ya later thumbtack....it has turned into a bulletin board for every unlicensed lowballer out there. It's worse than craigslist, because you pay to be on there with illegal operations. The only ones making money are the scumbags at thumbtack. IMO, sites like these should be banned from search engines. They impede on "actual" companies who actually work for their money. IMO, the owners of sites like these should be lined up against a wall, and be systematically shot in the back of the head in front of their children as punishment. That is just my view of how legislation should change to prevent this BS.

7. iCutLawns

iCutLawns LawnSite Member
    from MN

If Thumbtack is only charging $3 per lead, then that seems like a very low price. I can't recall what lead generating company that kept calling me, but I finally broke down and listened to them and they said the price is "only" $20some a lead. LOL! I've only seen Angie's List, Homeadvisor, YellowPages & Yelp show up in the search around here. Never heard of Thumbtack before... besides the one I stepped on many years ago. *&$% that hurt. LOL!

iCutLawns :)

8. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

I also tested it out as a consumer. I received just 3 quotes.

9. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I got an estimate request for lawn care, so I responded and asked for address to quote. Thumbtack took out my request for an address and reworded my response for me. What a joke. Never heard from the guy.

10. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

I think they base the lead on zip codes. So a property could easily be out of your service area. Cost 2 credit to find out.