Tick control?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BostonBull, Apr 28, 2009.

1. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

We use a synthetic at work, name skips me right now. Are there organic controls that work? How bad are the synthetics on my beneficials? Bees?

2. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Cedar Oil is what my organic buddies are using.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

cedarwood oil works great, we have not trialed cedar oil, maybe it is the same thing. crush up some garlic and control the mosquitoes too

If you don't want to make it up yourself we released Essential-1 this spring which is a mix of 5 essential oils, cedarwood oil is one of the main ingredients. We trialed it in Florida last year, it will move (not kill) fire ants right out of the area

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

get the DE out and LAY it down heavy for starts, mechanical pesticide

5. BostonBull

please elaborate? DE?

6. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

DE= diatomaceous earth

It is like sharp little crystals. Insects, spiders, and other creepy crawlies have exo-skeletons. They walk on this DE and it gets all over them and cuts their exo-skeleton and absorbs all the protective lipids and they die. Does the same to your lungs.

Use some cedar oil and garlic spray.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  7. BostonBull

The synthetic we spray at work is called Tempo. ........

8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes Tempo will kill ticks. It is a broad range insecticide that will also kill many beneficial insects, too. It makes you look good by killing the bad guys. But it also kills the good guys. In NJ, it is required to call registered bee keepers before an application of this pesticide is applied within several miles of a hive so bee keepers have the opportunity to keep the bees in. The reality is that this regulation is not enforced and only a very few applicators are aware of the law and those who are, don't make the call due to scheduling problems and bad PR.

"This pesticide is highly toxic to bees exposed to direct contact or residues."

http://www.afpmb.org/pubs/standardlists/labels/6840-01-313-7359_label.pdf

9. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Tempo has a 60-90 day residual if I remember right? Doesn't really smell which is sometimes good, sometimes bad. :)

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Round and round we go. :hammerhead: