1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tick Killer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rockytopp, Mar 25, 2005.

1. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

Well it has happened again. One of the better tick killer has been taken off the market,diazinon was what I was buying. What is going to take its place and what will the residual life be. I have been told every thing from thirty day reaplication to ninty days... With the old stuff it would last nearly a season... Perhaps that is why its gone... I have also heard that amonia nitrate would keep tick's out of the yard and from around buildings. I live on a clearing and have woods and nature all around, so I want something that will stop them from crossing the line . I use cedar shavings in my dog pen and that stops ticks and fleas but do not want to cover my lawn and drive in cedar( :p ) thanks for the help. rockytopp
  2. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

Boy, I have never heard of Diazinon lasting more than two-three weeks. That is a very "old school" chemical. There are many products on the market labeled to control ticks. Give Talstar a shot. It should have atleast a 30-day residual. There is a new product available called Maxforce Tick System. I do not know the details of it but if do a search you can probably find info on it. I believe it's made by Bayer.
  3. MikeD520

MikeD520 LawnSite Member

The Maxforce TMS targets the primary host of deer ticks/black-legged ticks, which is the white-footed mouse. The mice (and chipmunks) are attracted to two meal blocks and as the enter the box they are coated with fipronil, which lasts about 40 days. It will kill existing ticks and prevent any from attaching to the mouse. The efficacy against other ticks is not exactly known. I have talked to my Bayer rep a few times about this product.

4. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

Thanks guys.
    I will check out both and do some more research also. will let you know how and which works the best in my opinion. rockytopp