1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tick Spraying?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sgoalie23, May 19, 2007.

1. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

I'm new to the tick spraying game and just had a few questions. First, what parts of the customer's property do you spray? Is it the areas where the turf meets wooded areas, the turf and wooded areas, and/or ornamentals? Also, as far as pricing, is by linear foot or sq ft? Last, which product have you found to work best for you? Don't forget I am in the Northeast, Connecticut.

Thanks in advance,

Yes I'm licensed S-5317, B-2370.
  2. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

Have you tried Damminex Tick Tubes? 24 tubes will cover you for about a 1/2 acre. It uses permethrin as its active ingredient, which is the same ingredient found in tick collars and sprays. You can charge pretty high for this product as well retail for a 1/2 acre is like $80.00.
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

First a question for you, Are Ticks a true insects???

Understanding the full life cycle of the pest we want to control is the First step. I am not going to retype what you can Google and read for yourself. In short like many Pests including Ticks like Cracks and crevice to hide their eggs and themselves. Structures have a lot of hidden spots for them. I would recommend a High volume spray of low AI insecticide to reach those Cracks and Crevices and spray at least 10 if not 15 ft high on any structure. The same with trees and ornamental plants. Flooding the area down will help get those hidden places where Ticks might be. 10 gallons per thousand is what I use and I mix the AI to that calibration also.

IMHO Fleas and Ticks are not pests of Turf Grass or Trees & Plants. Therefore I feel they should be controlled by real pest control companies, not lawn boys.
  4. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

ditto...what ric said.:clapping:
  5. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Ric, we've been mixing Astro at the high rate and applying through our Permagreen. Think we're doing any good?
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Z Sprayers, Pernagreens and even homemade Ricagreens are great machines for spraying weeds and general Turf care. But they are like taking a knife to a gun fight when it comes to pest control. Sure you are gaining some control and hopefully you are irrigating immediately after spraying. Watering down and watering In are two different concepts just like Pest control and Turf care. But if you study the life cycle of the Tick you might realize you are not controlling all areas of their habitat with a boom sprayer. I actually have a trailer set up with skid sprayers for Pest Control applications. 95% of my work is Turf & Ornamental. However their is High Margin in Fire Ant, and Flea & Tick control, as well as a lot of competition for that type of work. The trailer is set up to spray 10 gallons per thousand and will spray a good 80 ft in the air if necessary.

One of my criticisms of this industry in general is. "Lawn boys can name every part on their mower, but don't know the name of the Grass they are cutting." By the same token "Applicators Know the Name of all the Chemicals they use and have no Idea about the Life cycle of the Pests they are trying to control and in most cases they don't know the pests name." In fact I have seen experienced Certified Operators look at Cottony Cushion Scale and call it a fungus.
  7. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Higher volume sprays do make more sense.....

It is just so damned easy to tank mix the Astro with the weed mix.

Thanks for your input.
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I ask a Question that no one seems to want to answer. Obviously Ticks are not True Insects or I wouldn't of ask the Question. So What are They?????
  9. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Ticks are arachnids.
  10. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

What I read here is a shame. A fellow member is asking for advice from seasoned professionals. Calling a person a lawn boy only exacerbates the situation, not help it. I personally do not have a license for pesticides and do not apply them, but I do read the threads to learn ALL phases of the industry. Perhaps someone could actually answer the original post.

Thank you.