Ticketed for DOT Regulations

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by dsmrolla06, Apr 7, 2006.

1. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

I got pulled over by a state boy on the way back from the dealer with my 61" ztr and 44" walk behind on my trailer. I was pulled over because i didnt have any DOT identificatioin on my truck. Supposedly any truck and trailer over 10,000# requires a DOT registration. They go by what the truck and trailer is rated for. My truck is rated at 6000# and the trailer at 6840#. All trucks must also be inspected once a year by a certified DOT inspector, and all operators must have a DOT medical card. They have to have a physical done to make sure they are capible of driving it.

All said and done, i recieved two citations and 5 warning. One for no DOT registration- $215, and no seat belt- $25. Got warned for no medical card, no annual inspection on truck or trailer, and no fire extinguisher.

This is just a warning to all of you out there because this is federal regulations, not state by state.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I seem to think we went all through this over the winter...it is state by state regulated.

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

This warning has been posted repeatedly and the instructions for getting the number and requirements has been debated so many times I cannot begin to count them. do a seach, more info about this topic than you can absorb in a day.

4. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

ok so am i over the weight?

3/4 chevy ext cab
    kubota zd18
    exmark 48" walk behind

8X16 enclosed

what do i weigh?

am i over 10,000

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

how much does the trailer weigh????

6. grass disaster

not sure what anything weighs really?????

i went to the web site i can't find anything.
    i went to chevy too i can't find weight either.

7. look at the sticker on the inside of your door frame and see what it says, and look at your trailer title for weight. Oh yeah your over weight.

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

NO, NO, DAMNIT NO!!! That is a VERY Incorrect statement! and it scares these guys to death that like you, don't know the correct law. I POSTED THE FEDERAL LAW on here a while back.

IT IS in fact a State to State Law that some states are starting to implement like your state of Indiana has done to generate extra revenue. I'm sure before it is all said an done all states will do it BUT they have not yet, only select states, again like yours and NY as examples. The reason the Federal Law is referenced by your DOT/DMV is two-fold.

1) The states that have enacted it just basically "copied" the Federal Law

2) The Federal Law itself DOES apply in ANY STATE BUT ONLY if you are conducting Interstate commercial travel (crossing state lines as a commercial carrier or business). It would be like if I sent a rig from NC into SC that exceeded 10,000lbs then YES I would have to comply with the Federal Law, but only then, NOT for any intrastate (travel within my state).

Also as a side note, and as someone who was a police officer for 20 years local and state officers CANNOT enforce Federal Laws UNLESS they have been duly sworn as a Federal Officer through some Federal Lawn Enforcement agency or program also. And even then ALL Federal Charges MUST be filed and go through the Federal Court system as they cannot be tried in ANY STATE COURT. It is like when I was on a federal drug task force. I had to be sworn in as a "Special Deputy US Marshall" to have federal arrest powers.

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had this all typed once and had a freeze frame.
    The way this works is like this;
    1st, check your owners manual and see what the gross combined weight rating for your truck is, then look at your trailer on the tongue should be the gross weight rating, add these 2 numbers together to get your total gross weight rating. the key word here is not the total wieght it is the total weight RATING, if the total of the ratings add up to 10,001 lbs or more you need the reg. number.
    The equipment You haul has nothing to do with this law. load weight is not the factor, rating IS. ( I was mislead on this part of it before)
    Yes, you need it.

10. grass disaster

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=115885

yup i think i'm done for.

actually the dot is in my town a lot. last year i was able to avoid him by just driving around him.

question:
    can he pull me over even if i don't have any signs on my vehicle???????

for all he(dot) knows i could be helping a friend move the trailer to a different location.

i would think it could be harrasment if he could just pull over anyone he wanted