Ticking noise in my 6.0L 2001 Chevy

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ksland, Mar 3, 2003.

1. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Well after a few service appointments they have offered me this extended warranty. I guess its not that bad.

Chevrolet is pleased to provide service coverage for the engine on your 2001 Chevrolet Silverado, Vehicle Identification Number XXXXXXXXXXXXX. This service coverage will commence upon the expiration of the applicable New Vehicle Limited Warranty and will continue until April 21, 2007, or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Chevrolet will make repairs to correct defects related to materials or workmanship occurring during the coverage period specified above. The following items are covered:

Engine - Cylinder block, heads, crankshaft and bearings, crankshaft seals - front and rear, camshaft and bearings, connecting rods and pistons, valve train (including valve seals, valve covers and internal parts), timing gears, chain/belt and cover, oil pump, oil pump housing, oil pan, all engine seals and gaskets, all lubricated internal engine parts, water pump, intake and exhaust manifolds, flywheel, harmonic balancer, and engine mounts.

Chevrolet will not be responsible for conditions arising from tampering, abuse, or improper maintenance. This coverage is transferable to subsequent owners; however, it is not transferable to any other vehicle. Please keep this letter with your Silverado. Should your vehicle require repairs within the coverage period, present this letter to the Service Manager of an authorized Chevrolet Dealership.

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure about your whole story here, but I'll reply. What happens when you get close to 100,000 and you want to unload the truck. Now you have to try and sell a ticking motor, and have papers to prove an extended warranty, because of a motor problem. Or trade it in and you get squat because of the motor tick. Is there more to this story I should be reading about?

3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Well the ticking noise is only during the first 15 seconds of startup, and only sometimes. Don't think that would change a tradein value. And besides, I can still complain about the noise and if there ever becomes a fix, I will get it fixed. This just extends my time range of the problem.

4. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

Quick fix BUY A FORD:D

5. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

Ford has piston slap as well, not to mention head gasket problems, oil leaks with their 4.6 V8 and 5.4 V8. I have also heard about the 5.4 blowing spark plugs. The 4.2 V6 was especially hard on head gaskets in 97 and 98. Go to F150online.com and read the forums, and you will see plenty of problems. This is NOT exclusive to GM.

6. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I'm surprise Chevy gave in so easy. My 6.0 2001 did the same thing. My friend has a GMC with the same motor and his does it also. I started using Slick 50 twice a year and Castrol GTX oil and now it isn't even noticeable.
    This is off the subject, but my entire A/C unit exploded internally last summer. I had 38k on the truck. It costs $1000 to replace the whole system. The mechanic recommended that I should raise hell with GM about this. The first lady I talked to was a bi%#. I waited a couple of weeks and spoke with a different person who offered me a choice of settlements right away; free oil changes/tire rotations for 3 years, $1000.00 off my next GM vehicle, or I could send in the receipts and try to get my money back. I chose the refund and after about 6 weeks I had all of my money back.

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

And this fact surprises WHO??

8. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

As I'm sitting here reading this short, ignorant comment, I've just got one thing to say. "You've got to consider the source" Brickman, evidentally you haven't heard a Ford slapper...they do exist, man. In fact, this problem is even surfacing in Toyota vehicles. It has to do with shorter piston skirts in these newly designed engines. Supposedly, they are designed that way to be more efficient. Ford isn't all that and a bag of chips, we have one at work to prove it. If i felt Ford was the best, I would have bought one instead of my 2002 Silverado. I'm not saying the Silverado is the best either....i'm just saying they all have their problems.

9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Pottsim I would challenge you to show me any where that I have stated that Ford does not have problems. I realize that all brands are made by humans and as such are not going to be perfect in all areas.

Personally I have not heard the slap you refer to. I have a 2000 with a PSD. It has been very trouble free for me.

10. Bob's Lawn Care

Bob's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I bought an '01 HD with the 6.0 liter last September used. Didn't notice the ticking until a few months ago. Thought it was just because it was cold. I start the truck and let it warm up before I leave and this eliminated the ticking. Does it do this in the summer also? I like the truck, it has more power than my other Chevy with a 350 motor, passes anything but a gas station.