Ticking noise in my ford.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Indy Kyle, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

I have a 99 ford f250 V10. When I first start it up there is a ticking noise that seems to be coming from the motor. After about 5 minutes it goes away then comes and goes for a little while longer. It always eventually stops for good though. I have been told that it might be a stuck lifter. What do you guys think?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly?

I think this is an excellent learning opportunity for diagnostics on your part.
    Go to the auto parts store and buy yourself an automotive stethoscope, same thing the doctors use to listen to your heart beat, stick in your ears thing but the automotive doesn't have that resonant round end instead it's more like a rod, either automotive or medical stethoscope will work for this thou.

So if the auto parts store doesn't have one then you can also get one from a medical supply store, get a nice one they run about 15-20 bucks and maybe you'll want to look at several and unfortunately every one made isn't always the best, up to you which kind to get.

Then, start listening to your engine, it's a very nice experience I think, I did it some years ago and found it was my number 1 lifter (thou I still had to pull the valve cover and rocker arm assembly off to find the problem, at least the stethoscope narrowed it down to the right side front of the engine).

Never did fix it, but that experience sure comes in handy.
    How that works...

3. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Hydraulic lifter is dirty.

If you run some tranny fluid through the engine oil (16oz.) with a fresh change that should start cleaning it out. Leave it in there until you change the oil, if you still have the noise, repeat the process.

Or you could switch to synthetic oil and it will do the same thing over time.

4. cat1

cat1 LawnSite Member
    from wi

It could be a rusted off or broken exhaust manifold stud, very common on both the 5.4 and v10 fords I had both. I just replace the studs on my 5.4 3 broken studs on right side. I still need to do the left side it has 1 broken stud. Look at both sides at the exhaust manifolds studs.

5. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

This is most likely the problem. It may also be a leak in the intake gasket... but, the exhaust manifold bolts or gasket is probably it. An automotive stethoscope would diagnose the problem... but, a long handled screwdriver also works well to isolate sources of noise.

6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

use a motorcraft filter and see if it goes away very common problem with off brand oil filters

7. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing on my 02' V-10...only happens when its not completely warmed up and accelerating after a couple minutes its gone.

8. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

If it was a broken manifold stud why would it always eventually go away? Also when u give it gas the ticking sound speeds up with it.

9. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you hear it when it is idleing?....I don't

10. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Metal expands when it's warmed up. The sound is congruent with rpm's because the faster the engine goes... the faster the sounds do too.