Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brendan, May 26, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan LawnSite Member

Some of the properties that I maintain are starting to become a haven for ticks. I realise that I cannot avoid contact with the them but is there any methods or treatments which will stop them latching onto me or kill them if they do?

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

3. onemancrew

onemancrew LawnSite Member
    from tn. #7

skin so soft by Avon
  4. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Avon has a bug guard plus sunblock I could try. The last time I mixed repellant with sunblock, I got one heck of an arm on fire feeling. IT HURT
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

There are many bug repellants on the market that are supposed to protect against ticks. The most important thing to remember is to do a "tick check" at the end of the day to remove any of these guys before they have attached themselves to you.

6. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Bug Guard Plus is great stuff. I can mow next to swamp and not have a single bite from mosquitos, green heads, etc. I don't know about ticks. I don't have any latched on, so maybe it works on them too.
  7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Have you ever thought of doing some treatments of insecticide on the lawn. Possible diazonon liquid. I treat my lawns with that and it cuts the ticks down to very little if any.
  8. Brendan

Brendan LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies.

NCSULandscaper, I have got two problems with doing lawn treatments:

1st, the customers wont allow it. They wont even let me spray roundup on the weeds in the pavers.

2nd, over here there is a small native ground animal called a Bandicoot which is one of the major hosts for ticks. The bandicoot population is rising due to the government fox baiting program. The foxes used to keep the bandicoot numbers down. I'm not against the bandicoots just their ticks. - Anyway I don't think spraying will help because the bandicoots visit the lawns/ gardens each night and they leave ticks after each visit.

What I was wanting to know does anyone know of a specific lotion/ cream which stop the ticks from taking hold in the first place. Or is there a systemic control for humans like there is for dogs.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

The only thing I have used to ward off ticks is either Skin So Soft by Avon or something like Off. I was just curious though, do the ticks in Australia carry Lyme disease? Seems like Lyme disease is becoming more and more of a problem with ticks here in the USA.
  10. Brendan

Brendan LawnSite Member

I believe that in certain areas the ticks carry Lyme disease such as the north coast of New South Wales, but I'm not sure of the situation in Sydney. The thought of Lyme disease is a concern to me, not only for my sake but also for my employees.

The bushland suburbs of Sydney had tick problems in the 1960's when I was a kid. Then the bandicoots disappeared and so did the ticks. It was not until the fox baiting program started that the bandicoots returned. I wonder how many other native animal species that the foxes pushed to extinction.

What is Off and who manufactures it?