Tie down thread

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by NateV, Aug 24, 2008.

1. NateV

NateV LawnSite Senior Member

After reading jlm's thread and all the talk about straps or chains i thought i would make a new thread about it. (i didnt search to see if there was one already so sorry if there is) I just thought if anyone had questions about the right way to tie something down that they could ask in here.

So i guess i should show the way we tie our stuff down.

We use all grade 70 chains and binders. Our binders have a WLL of 9200and MBS of 33,000 and its stamped right on them.

Kobelco mini. In the last pic We usually have another one that pulls to the other side of the trailer that crosses the other chain but i had already taken it off before i took the pics.

Picture 079.jpg

Picture 081.jpg

Picture 083.jpg

Picture 084.jpg

Picture 089.jpg

2. NateV

Case Backhoe. All 4 corners. loader and hoe.

Picture 026.jpg

Picture 030.jpg

Picture 029.jpg

3. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

you know how i tie down equipment and would the way i hook the strap to the track tie down point doesnt that act the same as running a strap or chain across the tracks like you did? btw nice equipment...

4. NateV

I would say to a point, yes, but to me it seems like how you have it, its just pulling it towards the rear of the trailer.

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

If anything, you want to make damn sure all your tie downs from the machine to the trailer are at an angle, that way one apir will keep the load from slipping in the event of a sudden stop.

The pics that NateV posted are exactly how I tie my stuff down too, I just don't do the boom of the mini, only on long trips over 15 minutes.

6. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

His setup there is very different from yours.

He has his tracks tied down so he's got his 4 corner tiedown and then he has separate chains for his hydraulic appendages. Those are the boom and the blade on the mini.

You put two uncrossed straps in the back and two on the blade. You should've had two straps on the back crossed. Two in the front crossed if possible. One over the blade and one over bucket to hold the boom down.

7. Junior M

but wouldnt the straps be pulling down and backwards all at the same time because of the angle? that is what i always thought..

why should they be crossed cat powered?

8. NateV

Ron, the one on the boom is pretty much just for looks. I followed dad home one time and notice that the boom still sways a good bit but hey its what the DOT wants.

9. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

According to the government your tiedowns should be crossed wherever possible and they should be hooked as close to the front and back of the trailer as you can get them reasonably.

10. Junior M

oh never heard that before