Tie down your ZTR's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnscag, Sep 14, 2006.

1. johnscag

johnscag LawnSite Member
    from Balt md

do you starp down your TZR's on yoru trailer, ??

2. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

I always do. But it does slow you down some and I dont know if the straps would hold the Z on in a crash anyway.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

It might hold them if you had to hit the ditch or brake hard. It helps but nothing will hold in a severe accident but it may keep it out of the cab with you. Don't laugh I've seen it happen (not with a ztr).

4. johnscag

johnscag LawnSite Member
    from Balt md

Mine seems to bounce a bit on rough roads, and I see allot of photos that never show straps, i use 4 now, but sure would like to cut back...Thanks for th response.

5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont tie mine down.. I have a 2x4 nailed to the floor. I also have wood nailed down to hold my 36 to the front.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

That reminds me on the Exmark DVD they show a row of Exmarks sitting side ways on a large tailer and the guy is strapping them down with a strap so thin it might be fit for one small motorcycle. Anyway it wasn't thick enough to hold a trailer full of Z's. The size and rating of a strap have alot to do with how much it will hold of course. Being an ex truck driver its something that is second nature because your dealing with lives (my own included) and saftey in general. I was pulling a boat one night with an auto though and it was strapped down very well with fairly heavy straps. Some kids pulled a tree out on the interstate and of course I hit my brakes too hard and the boat and trailer passed me up and I was going down the interstate at 70 mph backwards. Hit a guard rail and the boat broke all 3 straps and went and extra 100 ft down the road. Long night but no one was hurt. So no it doesn't always help.

7. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

They may not help in a accident but they will help reduce the chances of a cop pulling you over and they do help keep everything in place over bumps. I see tons of unsecured mowers on trailers around here. The one day i was in a big rush i was snagged by the cops less than a block from my house. :hammerhead:

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I dont think straps will do that much for you in a crash, maybe having two prolockers on each mower but not straps. It is the instant shock that the straps cant take....

9. Grimmy

Grimmy LawnSite Member

Here in our area if you tie down, law states that the straps are tied down also after securing the equipment.
    I use prolocker. Excellent, dot approved, pin secure the latch easy in, easy out for my exmark Z unit, however some units are not quite adaptable.

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Do you guys have open trailers with no sides? I never strapped down a mower with a open trailer, but always had sides. I now have a enclosed trailer, so it wou.dnt enen make sence.