tie down

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, Jan 24, 2003.

?

how much do u tie down ur equipment

1. Always

53 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. Never

22 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. Sometimes

22 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. Never really thought about

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen the lco that I bought my mower from never ties down their equip anymore. The mowers he has are either super surfers or surfers anyways how can he do that w/o them moving or falling off?

Also do I have to tie down my 48" hydro wb? It never seems to move whenever I try moving so, i'm pretty sure it would be fine. I'm not trying to start a piccing match so please help w/o fighting. THANK YOU, Chris

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

One strap pulling forward on ztr to keep from rolling. Too much time to tie and untie. Besides if I am in a wreck and its bad enough for all of my equipment to fly off, I think I have bigger things to worry about than that stuff on back. Besides with 5000 lbs strapped to the trailer it may want to roll over. Anybody know what happens when your trailer rolls over? Help me truck drivers! YOU roll too.

Mark

3. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I have Lesco wb's and I always tie down the two in the back of the trailer. The one in the front doesn't move because it is up against the front of the trailer and in 5th gear. (We never use 5th gear).

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

It's illegal for me NOT to tie down my stuff. I'm going to make my own version of those wheel chocks made by Greentouch I think it is, I think it's called the EZ-Strap or something. It's a little well that you put the wheel in that is bolted to the trailer floor, and you can set it for you tire size. It will pretty much hold your mower, since it's like a 2-way wheel chock, but it has a strap that goes over the top of the tire to lock it in. Pretty cool.

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know a guy that does that. He uses 2x4's instead and just bolts themn to the floor. He doesen't strap them down but, all you have to do is put eye screys and strap em on.:)

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I use 2 small pieces of 2x4 on each side to hold My chopper in place, my Toro WB is on the front sideways with nothing but the brake.

I used to put the Chopper on sideways too, but it's real tight and I think I was pinching the front tire, because I was getting a lot of flats. I haven't had a flat since I changed (knock on wood).

Soupy

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Never with the mowers. They fit on the trailer kind of tight anyway. Think I'm going to make the 2x4 wheel holders though for the push mower (it can roll alittle), tool box, gas cans, and John Deere walk behind. Going to make a rack for the blower also. The Scag doesn't go anywhere and has nowhere to go anyway but I'll make holders for it too. But no I dont' strap things down. Riding lawn tractors I engage parking brake, no problems. My pulling garden tractor- always! I can't let anything happen to it and it has no parking brake and doesn't always stay in gear. So it's the only thing that gets strapped down. Oh if I'm going on a trip, like to Toledo :D then something might get strapped down. Like when I got my JD. So you might want to strap yours down when you move away. Oh and um I thought you sold the 48" Snapper? Saw that on "the other site" a day ago or two.

8. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't tie down anything. On our trailer we usually pull 2 Walkers & a Scag 48". Never had much of a problem...they will sometimes jump & bobble around a bit if your driving a lil too fast or taking sharp corners too quick. The only things we tie down are our push blowers or aerators...things with wheels that don't have parking brakes cause those will fly all over the place. We also tie down our DitchWitch even though that has a brake cause that thing is just too much of a tank to let slide around.

Its just not worth our time to tie the equipment down when most of our stops are about 3-4 minutes away from each other if not less & we're stopping 20+ times a day, if we spent an average of 3 minutes per lawn between strapping the 3 mowers down and un-strapping them...thats an extra hour between 20 stops.

:blob3:

9. Lawn277

Lawn277 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Always, you ever seen a 21" pass you on the street?

thanks
    Rick

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

In NJ, it's the law. We simply run a chain from the mower to part of the handrail or frame of the trailer...takes 2 seconds. Parking brakes on the mowers never seem to work all that great anyway.