Tie rod end replacement?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, Oct 1, 2007.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, so my steering has been getting progressively sloppier, there is about 2 inches of play in the steering wheel. how do i tell if it's the tie rod ends? i jacked the truck up and the tie rod has about 3/4" of play where it meets that little rubber boot thing(slides in and out). does this indicate a need for tie rod end replacement? if so which one, inner or outer? it looks like something i can do myself, then just take it right away to get aligned. i am planning a trip to louisville, KY at the end of the month, i will be about 1,000 miles from home, and want to make sure my GMC won't let me down.

thanks guys.

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

with the front tires on the ground have someone get in the truck unlock the steering wheel,do NOT start the truck, and have them move the wheel back and forth. While they are doing this you should be laying under the front and looking at all the joints for slop.All the joints include both tie rod ends,track bar,pitman arm,and idler arm. Tie rods are pretty easy to change the others can get a little more difficult.to get the tie rods out use an impact gun to take off the castle nut the use a BIG hammer and strike the outside of the knuckle a few times and it should pop right out.