tieing in before the pressure switch

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by AI Inc, Jul 15, 2010.

1. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Looked at a tough one the other night.Split level, as usual , the water source was under the landing. Front steps s foot wider then landing. Finished basement to the righ of landing.Copper feed going to the tank and switch cross the garage. Real easy place to do the tap. I asked a well guy and he said If I move the check valve to before my tie in I would be fine. Otherwise the switch would not know when to turn the pump on. Anyone ever do it?

2. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

I have not done it but have heard it will make the pressure switch work incorrectly.

Seems to me when a zone kicked on or off it will make the switch read errantly.

Let us know what happens.

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Well guy is correct , add another shut off for the main if one is not there .

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing at all hinky about such a setup is that there will be some 'reverse' flow in the segment of pipe between the tank and your tie-in.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

To stop any reverse flow , put a swing check upstream of the sprinkler supply line .

6. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

As soon as the system comes on the pressure drops to 0 then the pump kicks on? By having two check valves you are running the well without a pressure tank. Maybee I am missing something here.

To the OP, be sure to let us know how this goes.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

The more I think about it, the more I want to tap after and just plumb back to the garage and out.

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

would that not fool the PS to thinking that there was no demand?

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

No check valves between POC and pressure tank in this arrangement. You live with the reverse flow.

10. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Could possibly cause the pressure switch to chatter.
    If I were to tap in like that I would move the original check valve and then add one on the sprinkler supply.
    I'd say go for it. Worst case scenario is that it won't work or maybe cause some serious water hammer.