Tieing two business in one?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CJIII, May 27, 2002.

1. CJIII

CJIII LawnSite Member

Hey I got a question?. what I would like do is when I get my lawn service going real well in about 3 or 4 years when I finish college I would like to tie in building construction with my lawn service. I would like to know is that a wise idea. I am going to be building log homes and custom homes.

2. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

Keep them separate, just my thought.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

One company, two divisions.

4. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Separate companies - if you ever want to sell one of them, it will be easier if each has their own records, etc. Also might help protect you if you are ever involved in a lawsuit.

5. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

We are kind of doing that now (not intentionally). We had the lawn care business, and people started asking us if we could do minor construction jobs, which snow-balled into complete remodels, drywall, etc.

Start two seperate businesses. You will need different equipment, employees, and insurance for the different businesses.

Here is my experience in the idea. Start out with one or the other. You will have to build up an experienced work force or you will be spreading yourself too thin, then you will lose out. It is EXTREMELY hard to work on construction jobs in the summer when you are trying to do your mowing. It's also difficult in the winter with plowing. We were able to do construction last winter because there was little snow.

Personally, I enjoy the construction more. Pays better, too.