Tif 419 Bermuda in Texas

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jason72g, Jul 24, 2012.

1. jason72g

jason72g LawnSite Member

Hey all,

We are attempting to get my dad's backyard whipped into shape. It is Tif 419 that was installed about 6 years ago. The yard is half level and half unlevel.

He has it sprayed every 6 weeks(don't know what product), but it just doesn't look like I think it could. We mow it at about 2.5 inches every 4-5 days. We water in 20 minute intervals for each zone 3 times per night, one day per week. So each zone on Friday night is getting a total of 60 minutes of water.

The problem is, is the grass is very "stemmy," for lack of a better term. If you walk on it after it has been mowed you will leave behind a trail of dead grass stems (see pic below.) It is also not very green although you can't tell in the pics.

I have decided that we need a couple of things:

1.) Topdress the soil (what is the best method of doing this?)
    2.) all of the nurseries around here say to use Southwest Green Maker
    3.) Go from a cut of 2.5" to 1" (with a rotary mower, yes we'd like to have a reel, but it's not going to happen right now.)

Does this sound about right? Is there something I'm missing?

photo.jpg

2. Sorry, but 1" with a rotary is not going to work. If you really want to get this yard in shape...scalp, topdress, and verticut. Then, start using a reel. Either pony up the $ to do it right, or you get the same results.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Use sand to topdress btw...the green stuff
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jason72g

jason72g LawnSite Member

Would you recommend scalping at 1"?

5. What you should do, is cut the bermuda as low as you can with your rotary with a very sharp blade. You may have to cut it twice.....

Scalping down to an inch when the grass has been maintained at 2.5" is going to be very messy. I would cut it down to 2" first, then around 1.5" if your rotary goes that low.....

Best thing to do would be scalping it with a reel. If you have a rotary that can get down to an inch, I guess you can do it.....make sure blade is very sharp though....

Next, you need to verticut. that lawn looks puffy as hell and there is prob a good amount of thatch...especially if you have never verticut this lawn ever.

Then, topdress with sand.....You may need to do a couple topdressings if your lawn is that un-even. I would do one now.....let the bermuda grow back, and then do another....Not sure how your winters are....you may only be able to topdress once....

6. jason72g

jason72g LawnSite Member

Would it be wise to verticut and aerate? Also can I verticut without having to scalp?

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

TIF419 is a semi dwarf varitety that won't ever look good at 2.5 inches. How big an area are we talking about? The verticut serves a better purpose than aerating. It needs the scalp and the dethatch.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jason72g

jason72g LawnSite Member

talking about less than 2500 sq. ft.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a reel. If not, don't bother. Bermuda will never look its best cut with a rotary...I don't care what kind of rotary mower or who tells you otherwise.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Verticutting also removes high spots and makes topdressing easier and will stretch your sand further.
    Posted via Mobile Device