Tif 419 Bermuda in Texas

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jason72g, Jul 24, 2012.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

In my backyard last year I seeded some common bermuda to see how well it would do while I had fescue in the front. Last year I mowed at about 2" and this year after the winter rye died I've been mowing the section of bermuda at 1" with my rotary mower and mowing every 4th day. I mowed again yesterday @ 1" and I can say that the bermuda looks more dense and also green with just rain water (no irrigation and not dragging hoses). My dad has seeded bermuda but he mows his above 2" because he thinks its going to die in the hot sun and his is more weed prone(a lot of crabgrass has started coming up in the last month). I keep telling him to drop the deck lower.

2. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

What is the cutting width of your reel? I think you have a tru cut if I'm thinking right.

3. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to nitpick, chaser, but I think you cherry-picked your photos to show your favored position in a better light. Your 2" shot clearly had not been mowed recently before the picture (no clippings on the driveway), but the 3/4" shot HAD been mowed right before the picture (clippings still on the driveway). If you had shown us pictures of both right after they had been cut, there would have been very little difference (save for striping).

Check out this picture of a golf course that I consulted for a few years back. Bermudagrass in the rough was cut at 3" that morning and the same cultivar on the tee was cut at 0.375" that same morning. No difference in quality at all.

Bermudagrass_Golf.jpg

4. Grasssales2001

Grasssales2001 LawnSite Member

Mowing frequency has a lot to do with it. The average homeowner on a 5-7 mowing schedule will have a more attractive lawn at higher cutting heights. If they want to mow every 1-3 days they can maintain it a lot shorter.

5. Busa Dave

Busa Dave LawnSite Member
    from DFW

I use a rotary on my 419 and mow every 3-4 days so far this year and there is just no way at the shorter heights esp (1.0 and shorter) that a reel can be beaten for the sharp crisp look. Mine looks as good as it can using a rotary however the reel is not a practical solution so I make do.

Given perfect management the 419 with a rotary can get close to reel quality but no cigar as they say..

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Oh lord...Not even worth a reply.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Grasssales2001

Grasssales2001 LawnSite Member

Heck, I've seen stripes in centipede maintained at 2" with a rotatary mower. Whats the fascination with stripes?

8. chaser2587

chaser2587 LawnSite Member

I do have a Tru Cut and it is a 20"
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I don't really care either way...but in some cases they look good.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Burp.

Can not compare Centiped to Burmuda. Rotory to Reel.