Tif 419 Bermuda in Texas

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jason72g, Jul 24, 2012.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly...
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

It looks even better cut with a Honda H series walk behind. :rolleyes: If someone is not going to maintain warm season grass with a reel, they are better off keeping st augustine or centipede. Common bermuda can look fabulous mowed with a reel at an inch, kept irrigated and fertilized. I never understood the concept of having a lawn if it is going to be dried out and starved. Might as well grow weeds.

3. greendoctor

I once used an American 7 blade reel to mow my Tifgreen. 2000 sq ft or so, not putting green flat. It was doable, however it was a serious workout and I really do not need to lose weight. I much prefer my McLane with a front roller.

4. cgaengineer

Doesn't sound like something I would enjoy after cutting grass all day....next...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. greendoctor

Well then, get that Tru-Cut relief ground and backlapped. With the McLane, I am mowing with almost one hand.

6. cgaengineer

I think I'll do that. For my 3k front and 1k side the 30" is just too big.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. greendoctor

The only time I have seen a reel wider than 20 being useful is on regularly shaped and totally flat lawns over 5,000 sq ft. If there are obstacles, hills, and spaces less than 5,000, a wider reel is a handful.

8. cgaengineer

With my lawn be long and narrow with a gentle swale running longways through it I have to go back and forth on the short side so not to leave reel marks...it's just a bunch of turning around.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Busa Dave

Busa Dave LawnSite Member
    from DFW

Easy---Mow it every 5 days, water when it shows stress, use a form of nitrogen broken down buy moisture and heat so it will not burn, use a sharp blade at all times. Tif 419 is very easy to maintain.

I use a Toro HD Commercial and a Honda Commercial with the Toro being used the most often because it gives a better cut imho. Use the Honda to do the first cut if it gets a little long and I can’t mow it to the 4 to 5 day schedule. This grass is mowed both vertically and horizontally every time---yes it takes some time but it looks better than the average yard.
    My grass is mowed at 1.5 inches no higher.

If you want to PM me with a number I will be glad to discuss this with you because it can be done with a rotary mower. Growing up I had a putting green in the back yard (Tifway) and was an expert with a Jacobsen 21 Manor Mower lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. greendoctor

20 inches is about the best for that. I can imagine what a rotary deck would to to it. Even on lawns that are not topdressed and putting green flat, a reel looks better than a rotary.