Tiff grass with brown tips

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by curry, Jul 27, 2005.

1. curry

curry LawnSite Member

OK, on my yard Ive been mowing with a reel mower and it looks great. The other day I was mowing and my engine locked up on the reel mower(its 30yrs old). I used my Toro 21'' to finish the yard. The cut really suprised me. It didnt look half bad (compared to the reel mower). I did notice, however, that it left several circular marks from the blade. About 2 days later I noticed that the tips of the grass are brown. Just the very tip. The grass looks fine otherwise. Is that caused from the rotary mower "tearing" the grass compared to the scissor cut of the reel mower. Also, will the grass get "trained" to cutting with a rotary mower (brown tips and circular marks). Im debating on what mower to buy for next year. My choices are the Exmark 21" or a McLane 25" reel mower. I mow my Tiff at 3/4" and the Exmark will mow that low. I could use the commercial exmark 21" on my customers yards but the reel mower will only be used on my own as I have no other Tiff yards. I really dont want to have to buy both. Whats yalls suggestions. Do any of you use rotary on Tiff grass with good results.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

In the areas where it left circles did it scalp it? If it just tore the grass it should have sort of a white-ish tinge to it.

3. curry

curry LawnSite Member

It semi-scalped it. It cut a little lower and cut most of the green out. Not bad, just noticable.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

It will probably spring back. I wouldn't keep mowing it that way, opening lawn up to disease and so forth.

5. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

If just the tips are white it sounds like the blades weren't sharp. Even with super sharp blades a rotary mower cannot cut as clean as a reel. Rotary mowers don't shear the grass they cut from impact. But then what do I know, i've never used a reel mower, just a real mower. :)

6. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Does anyone use a rotary mower cutting at 3/4'' have any feedback on the cut of tiff. I went and looked at the Exmark, Toro, and Snapper 21'' mowers today. I will mainly side-discharge and therefore am leaning towards the Snapper(didnt check on it about cutting height down to 3/4") if I can get a ruling on the quality of cut on tiff.

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

BTW are you using a residential or commercial Toro 21''?

8. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Its a residental personnal pace that Im using. Why?

9. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

If the old reel mower is in decent shape I would suggest picking up a new or used engine for it. They are easy to change out and one can be picked up for $200-$400 dollars depending on which one you want. Small engine warehouse has some Kawasaki 5 h.p for $200 which should fit fine.

10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Im thinking of getting a Toro 21'' but the commercial model though. I wish I could find the 2 cycle suzuki.