Tifgreen vs tifway 419 vs tifsport bermuda???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bronco28, May 4, 2006.

1. bronco28

bronco28 LawnSite Member

I have had Tifgreen over the last 10 years and liked it well enough but I am now replacing my sod and see that the other 2 choices are out there.
    I was looking to possibly changing types and was leaning towards the TifSport. As one of the things that interest me is the possiblity of staying greener longer.

I also am not sure if the grass is about the same texture as it is very hard to tell from pictures that I could find on the net.

Any opinions or comments on a prefered grass or about this would be great. As an FYI I live in Southern California.

2. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

If you look into TIfsport, you will see that it is probably way too high maintenance for you. I have 419 on 8k sf in my backyard, and this is what it looks like.
    [​IMG]

I keep it cut at .5-1.5 inches, depending on rain and season. It is at .5 right now and looks like a fairway. It greens in March and sometimes makes it near thanksgiving before it really starts going dormant. Some people keep it higher, and it still looks good, but I LOVE my fairway backyard. 419 here in the north GA transition zone.

3. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

[​IMG]:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: