Tifway 419 not growing

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rherrera, Jun 11, 2004.

1. rherrera

rherrera LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

Hopefully someone can help. Two years ago I layed 1600 sqft of tifway 419 sod. It grew great the first year with the overseed then when summer came around it was horrible yellow and some green patchy even after i put on summerizer fertalizer. Then I did my backyard and that looked great until this summer and now its the same as the front. Its very yellow with some green spots that seem to grow great. I live in arizona with plenty of heat and I water every 3rd day for about 20min The grass is in full sun until about 5pm or so both in the front and the backyard. I mowed it short early may to get rid of the winter grass. Does anybody have any ideas for me? Thank in advance.

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep. Water EVERY day. Each zone for at least 45 minutes and apply a slow release high nitrogen fertilzer at the rate of 1 lb nitrogen/1000 sq ft.

3. rherrera

rherrera LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

Okay so I am going to water 45min. I was told to buy this king turf fertalizer which the westcoast sod recommended is this the same thing as teh slow release high nitro fertizler?

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Water,water,water,Arizona is HOT!
    Your turf may not have ever rooted with the small amount of water that your talking about.

One other thing,when you say you mowed it short to get rid of the "winter" grass,how short is short? Did you basically scalp it?

No need for short cutting it only stresses the lawn,cut at normal heights.

5. rherrera

rherrera LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

I did basically scalp it. I was thinking of fertalizing it then cover with a bit of top soil. Also should water it 45min every 3rd day?

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

As avery has said,water every day,fertilize and keep after it.
    I wouldn't add topsoil at this point,it's new turf so it shouldn't need it and it will probably do more harm than good for now until your sod is healthy again.

7. rherrera

rherrera LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

Thanks to all! Check this out my neighbors are having the same problem. Do you think its the soil? We live in a new devolpment on old farm land???

8. curry

curry LawnSite Member

I sodded 6000sq last year (Sept) at my new house. I just started to follow the Scotts fertilizer program and my yard looks awesome. I use a reel mower and cut at 1". I suggest get on a good fert. program and that will help out. Oh, by the way, I live in Central Texas and Ive only watered once this year and until a couple days ago havent gotten any rain for 7 weeks so I dont believe that its lack of water. Dont think its any hotter in your area than mine.

9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. Ya gotta water every day. Here a hot spot will show if you have trouble with a head and grass does not get full coverage every day. Only takes a day or two without water to show.

10. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Avery, can you explain why my yard has not gotten ANY water on it in 6 weeks yet looks great. The temps here have been 90+ 4 to 5 days a week. I just cant believe its only lack of water. I am by no means an expert on this subject but can only go by my experience. I wish I had capability to take a pic of my yard to show.